Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
waiting more than month is ridiculous and unacceptable in my opinion. They should be able to have more than a few hours worth of sales at launch.. It's like they are doing it on purpose. I had an easier time getting the original ipad on day 1.

Because I have to wait this long, I'm thinking about just continuing to wait for Blackberry 10 since it's around the corner.. that is what I've been originally waiting for but wanted the IP5 because I was impatient.. But now, I might as well just keep waiting for the new Blackberries..

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Because I have to wait this long, I'm thinking about just continuing to wait for Blackberry 10 since it's around the corner.. that is what I've been originally waiting for but wanted the IP5 because I was impatient.. But now, I might as well just keep waiting for the new Blackberries..

Or, you know, drive your car off a bridge, about the same level of pain.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Whoa there sparky, it was nearly impossible to get your hands on an iPhone this easily before. Since the 4 (I think) they have really upped the number they have on hand at launch. Ship times seem long but I recall people waiting many months for the first one and even the second.

It is hard to really peg demand. 5 mil at launch is hard. Next year they may make 5 mil and then be short a mil. It happens.

Go to the BB, clearly the BB is a great contender for the iP5. : sarcasm:

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Go to the BB, clearly the BB is a great contender for the iP5. : sarcasm:

Aside from zero apps, it actually is. I had a Playbook and preferred it to iOS. With that said, I'd rather have an iPhone but it's just ridiculous how they launch products

Apple is not new at this and I believe they had low supply by design

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
You could of got up early on the 14th or the 21st and had a phone. You choose to do neither. Tough cookies. :rolleyes:

You want Tim Cook to come to your house and personally deliver you one?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe, but then they were suprised by the the volume of pre-orders. Should they have delayed the launch, build millions of iPhone 5s and of course find a place to store all of them for who knows how long?

There's a whole lot of logistics that go into this, and they make their best guesses on demand. Given that the wait time is only a couple of weeks speaks of the efficiency of their process.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
1) demand was huge
2) supply is limited - In-Cell touch displays
3) if Apple waited until mid October to have said 24 hr supply, then you'd be waiting until mid october to get your preorder

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
It is always like this, it should come as no surprise at this point.

They do it because they can, they know what the demand will be, but they choose to do it this way as it helps them sell even more!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Aside from zero apps, it actually is. I had a Playbook and preferred it to iOS. n

So it sorta surfs the net and checks your email? My old Voyager feature phone could do that back in 2006....

Frankly, I wouldn't touch a BB at this point (and yes I owned one for a short while). Why? Who knows how long they will even have an email service seeing as how they are on the verge of bankruptcy and no cash....

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
lol, yea they surf the net well.

I might just order one online and try to sit tight. It's my fault for not doing this a while ago but It's my first iphone so I didn't know. I'm still pissed..

Try to imagine yourself using a Blackberry 9630 since 2009 and you finally found the phone you want.. I'm trying to embrace 21st century technology but it's like Apple doesn't want me to.. that's how I feel.

Last edited:

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
These "supply shortages" never last very long. If you want one, chill out for a couple of weeks then start checking your nearest Apple store and local carriers every day. You'll regret getting a Blackberry just because you "had to have something".

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
^^^^^I agree with you all and would regret not getting it

Finally placed an order about 10 minutes ago on :apple:'s website!

went all in on a Black 64GB.. hope to sleep better at night now & get some work done! haha

phearx

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Aside from zero apps, it actually is. I had a Playbook and preferred it to iOS. With that said, I'd rather have an iPhone but it's just ridiculous how they launch products

Apple is not new at this and I believe they had low supply by design

Yeah, it totally is, which is why retailers were doing everything in their power to get rid of playbooks after they went down 50%. It's totally worth it considering a large percentage of analysts are pegging blackberry as a sinking ship. Sure BB10 isn't bad, but the phrase too little too late comes to mind.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
The launch for BB10 devices have been delayed numerous times in the past 1+ years and you're complaining about having to wait maybe 3-4 weeks (for delivery) for an actual known product that actually exists?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^^^^^I agree with you all and would regret not getting it

Finally placed an order about 10 minutes ago on :apple:'s website!

went all in on a Black 64GB.. hope to sleep better at night now & get some work done! haha

Holy crap, I hope this wasn't really causing you not to sleep or work. :eek: But congrats. I figured the BB purchase comments was just the emo in you talking. :p

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ordered mine about 4:50 a.m. on the 14th
Missed the 21st launch deliveries
Was scheduled for Oct 5th
Shipped and rescheduled for Sept 28
Now it is scheduled to come tomorrow, Sept 26

I'm out of town anyway, so it will be there when I get home Thu night

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
This happens every year. Deal with it.

Last year, I finally was able to get a 4S in January from BestBuy. I refused to buy at the Apple store and I will do the same this year. For my 4S, I had to drive an hour to Fort Collins to get it.

Beides, maybe some of the "problems" that many are experiencing will be fixed .

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
They do? Care to explain how they determine that exactly? And even if they did know exactly what the demand is, do you think it is insignificant to produce enough supply to meet that demand?

Because they spend millions upon millions of dollars to know what people want. Plus it has been two years since a serious refresh. Even the analysts said they would sell between 5 and 10 million. To say they wouldn't know is just plain stupid.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Because they spend millions upon millions of dollars to know what people want.
Do you have some sources to back up this claim?

Plus it has been two years since a serious refresh.
You think the 4S, with a retina display, multi-core, etc., was not a serious refresh?

Even the analysts said they would sell between 5 and 10 million. To say they wouldn't know is just plain stupid.
So, I guess Apple doesn't need to spend millions upon millions finding out what people want when they can just listen to the analysts instead.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Apple has been increasing production of their phones each year. That's how we were able to get sneak peeks, because apple was stockpiling enough phones for launch.
Historically, apple has always had a sellout of their phones. The only possible exception might be the first phone.
As far as doing it on purpose, maybe there are maybe they aren't. Unless your name is Tim Cook, you'll never really know. :rolleyes:
waiting more than month is ridiculous and unacceptable in my opinion. They should be able to have more than a few hours worth of sales at launch.. It's like they are doing it on purpose. I had an easier time getting the original ipad on day 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.