Apple SHOULD Have Made Reserved iPhone Available on the 23rd!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

In order to alleviate some of the congestion that is bound to hit at&t servers on the 24th, Apple should have allowed reserved iPhone to be picked up a day early! This would have probably cut the traffic in half b/w the 23rd and 24th. Thoughts?

2. chromey macrumors member

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Maybe you should have just pre-ordered instead. Then you could have received it today or tomorrow.

5. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried. Didn't work out so well ;)

6. ginsengbomb macrumors member

They're reducing the load by letting shipments come through prior to June 24th. If they let every pre-order come through prior, it wouldn't have the same effect. Also: who cares?

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I suppose it's possible that Apple will send out an email to reserves saying they can pick it up tomorrow (assuming the shipments to the stores are arriving today) to alleviate some of the congestion on Thursday.

If not, I'll be rollign in on the 24th and getting it at the exact time I was expecting.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Would kind of defeat the purpose of them trying to split up the activation cruntch on AT&T's servers

9. mcheng4 macrumors member

i agree with this, but the question really comes down to, did Apple decide to deliver before the 24th because, 1) Fedex/USPS/UPS could not handle delivering all the units OR 2) activation traffic issues

obviously a little of both, but one has to be the true reason. If its #2, I definitely think reservation pick up should be (and still can be) moved up to the 23rd. Ppl say this would be useless because then you'd double up on those getting it delivered tmrw...this is not true. With long reservation and non-reservation activition/pick up lines - they are NONstop activating these phones, everywhere, EST 7am, then PST 7am. This causes the heavy traffic, and trouble. With delivery - every1 gets their phones at different times of the day, and can activate whenever they please.

It would make most sense for them to move reservation pick up to tomorrow the 23rd, cut the traffic in half (ish)

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How do they make sure 600k customers are notified and can change their day off at the last minute?

How do get a huge number of employees trained a day early, it is a scheduling nightmare to move it up.

If you were Psystar, a last minute product intro is easy to swing.

When you are Apple, is like trying to push an elephant with a wad of cotton candy.

11. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

1) They simply send out an email to the same list that they used for the reservation notifications as long as they know the phones are at the store. If people can't make it or don't get the email, so what, they will just arrive on the 24th as planned.

2) There is likely no training involved, as the update process is something the employees have probably been doing all along with anyone who has bought a 3GS in the last year. From an employee standpoint, it's not really a "new product" like the iPad or the initial launch of the iPhone.

12. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Are many people actually taking the day off of work to receive a package? I get deliveries all the time from UPS, FedEx and USPS, but I never take a day off from work. In any case, they have been emailing people to let them know, but it has never been a requirement to take a day off of work to preorder an iPhone.

These employees should have already been trained to help folks well ahead of time. Never mind iOS4 already debuted 06/21. If you're referring to trained to sell iphones on launch day, I'm sure they had that necessary 5 minutes of training also, lol.

Did Psystar actually manufacture anything??? Didn't they take commonly available computer parts, and slap them together with an OSX. Maybe I'm missing something here. If not, this analogy is incorrect.