Apple should invent Application Store for Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celticpride678, Jul 28, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Why should we have to go to the store and pay money for a disc. Buying it online for the same price and same product, is not only easier, but better for the environment, as we don't have to waste resources. Also, it would be a revolutionary kind of thing. They already do it for the iPod and iPhone, why no change it a little and then have it for Mac. Also, when you buy an application, you don't have to update before using it, because it is already up to date. What do you guys think?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Isn't the internet like one big Application Store? I agree with the discs/packages at the store being bad for the environment. But some people don't have internet all the time to download large programs that are easily installed from discs. Plus I don't think I have ever bought an application that has required a disc, they've all been from the internet.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Where do you download your applications from the Internet? What I mean is like, Office or iWork.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

"Invent"?

No. No. No. No. No. **** that. That would be the end of the indie developer and commercial stuff would go to utter crap. I hate the iPhone app store; all an OS X store would do is completely kill the software market.
    You're joking right? You can download iWork and Office off the 'net.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Yep, illegally. Right?

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. Go to Apple.com/iwork

Go to the office website. You can get download copies for the same price as a box copy.

:rolleyes:

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Um, right. But the download from online is only a free trial. And, buying it sends you a disc.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Get the trial, then buy a license.

Listen: No mess of a disk.

9. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Why would you want this? So Apple can monitor the apps they allow you to use for your mac as well?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are plenty of apps that have the option for disk. Not having one is way better, Apple takes less from developers, etc...

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Exactly! That would suck if we one day had to jailbreak our computers. Which, in essence, would be a lot harder since you need a computer to jailbreak. I'd drop OS X the second jobs announces a Mac app store. All the script kiddies would jump on it and it would kill the whole platform for doing anything useful.

12. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

You don't have to use it. There would still be the opportunity to buy a disc.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't get it. Eventually you would have to use it. First it would become so dominant, as it's built into your Mac, that all developers looking to make any money would have to use it. Then that means Apple would moderate their apps and therefore limit what apps can do. Eventually it would become a completely closed system and everyone would HAVE to use the store to get any application. We've seen this basically happen with the iPhone. The jailbreaking community is getting smaller and smaller.

That would suck.

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

OK, think of it this way.

In ubuntu, you don't need to use apt to install an application, but it is the easiest way to find and manage applications.

If apple implemented an app store for Mac applications, it would be just another distribution channel for developers. It would be great for new users brought over from the 'halo effect' of iPhone OS and could be easily added into iTunes - I think iTunes needs a bit of a rename, it's a bit of a misnomer now.

Anyway, I don't believe apple would lock down OSX if they did a Mac App Store, but if they did, I would probably migrate to Linux.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The Linux community is nothing like the OS X community. OSXers are into dropping dimes on random software that farts or does cool effects with iTunes. If there were an OFFICIAL APPLE STORE dedicated to this the kiddies would go crazy all over it. After all it's Apple so it should be trusted, embraced and constantly purchased from.

Linux users on the other hand are generally pretty frugal and very aware of how a project benefits the community. The last thing they would want is a big corporation in charge of where most users get their applications.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

For some reason, Apple doesn't have downloadble purchasing of iWork, but Microsoft does for Office. You go to their website, pay, and you're able to download a full, licensed copy of Office complete with a cd key number. If you want it on a CD, you can burn it to one.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I don't see how that makes a Mac app store a bad idea then.

Anything to simplify the process for new users is a good thing, what I was getting at was that if the app store is implemented the way ubuntu uses apt, then it can only be a good for apple shifting iMacs and MacBooks. Also, you can only download free (but not necessarily open source) stuff in apt, the apt analogy is just that you can search for things and install them in less than 3 clicks without needing a browser open.