Apple should keep the current watch design for decades

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Poochi, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

This design needs to be continued, forever.

Like a Rolex. It becomes timeless if people can forever purchase the same design, it's never outdated. That's a luxury item.

Sure. New designs can be released overtime, but the same design needs to be offered alongside with updated internals. Then we have a winner.

2. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

It'd certainly make me happier about buying multiple bands at Apple's prices!

3. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I agree. Unfortunately, I've been with apple long enough to know that they LIKE changing the form of things, as it's the #1 way to distinguish a product as new. I would not be surprised if it changed form in the next iteration, either by becoming slimmer and/or adding more health-related sensors. I expect the next watch to be a major revision. Then perhaps it will settle into an iphone like every two generation form change.

4. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

But it looks ripe to get thinner. It can get thinner and lighter and subtly more sophisticated while still retaining the overall trademark iconic look and keeping compatibility with bands and charger.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Like others have said, it's way too thick now. The black bezel looks cheap and gaudy.

Hope the screen eventually fills the whole face so they can ditch the bezel.

6. parallax33 macrumors regular

Currently following the iPhone design language and expecting the ipad to go that way next. Definitely 2-3 years before any major refresh imo

7. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Main difference between the watch and other iDevices is that Apple treat Watch as both LUXURY and PERSONAL.

Watch has identical tech spec, differentiated by band and material.

If Apple is really into the luxury market, they need a timeless design that still look new decades down the road. That's the main reason I am saying this design needs to be kept the same currently offered. They can offer new models down the road while keeping this available with refreshed tech (like Submariner is kept the same for over half a century, meanwhile other models are released along the way)

8. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Exactly right! With the advent of power saving processors and displays they can exponentially increase battery life while streamlining the unit. They can also afford to add additional sensors to increase its abilities without affecting the battery.

9. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I would appreciate the same case design and the ability to swap in a module that contains faster chipset and bigger battery sometime down the road.

10. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

I don't mind the thickness, it's 2mm thinner than my old Seiko 5 Sports (and that one had a smaller case diameter).

I'd rather they made the battery larger and larger, as the rest of the components shrink.

11. Hexcruncher macrumors regular

As much as you don't like it there will always be a bezel on every device somewhere using current display technologies. Display drivers have to fit somewhere

12. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Thinner than my Omega too. Not sure what all the fuss is about. :D

13. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

It's thicker than my current watch so now I'm angry.

[​IMG]

14. Gooberton macrumors 65816

In pr standards that watch should be at 10:10 when photographed

15. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

That's... not how Rolex works at all. There are changes to the design of models all the time. Case sizes, dials, bezels, bezel materials, lug design, bracelet/clasp design. Not to mention movement.

16. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

At least you can get the Apple Watch with your favourite band colour :)

----------

By PR standards that watch should not be photographed :D

17. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Later on they may just sell the watch without the band making it cheaper. I won't mind upgrading then

18. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

The iPad was also thinner than old tablet computers and the iPhone thinner than old phones... that never seemed to stop Apple :cool:

19. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Like Rolex..? You must be joking or being sarcastic of course...

20. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Apple:
    - 2 sizes 38/42
    - Aluminum/SS/Gold
    - tons of band options

Keep the current design and add more later.

Maybe add sterling silver, titanium, magnesium, platinum.

Instead of movements, internals will be upgraded.

Instead of current display, like internals it can be improved.

While keeping existing bands, add more options

44mm or any additional case sizes could be added while keeping existing the same.

The case point is the look and feel and current case offerings need to withstand test of time and be offered decades down the road. So the current look will never look outdated like the Rolex.

----------

Right. Apple Watch is better. Sorry I wasn't sarcastic enough.

Serious though, Apple could play this market, but for their Edition to be worth anything at all what I said needs to be true.

Or it will forever be in the "look I got too much money to burn" niche.

21. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I think the gold apple watch will be just fine for celebs and people who have inherited large amount of wealth.

22. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Edition version of Apple watch in 5 years time will be worth as much as the weight of scrap gold it is made from and nothing more.

23. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I just don't see this as a luxury/fashion item. No matter what Apple bills it as. It's really just a nerdy piece of gen 1 tech you wear on your wrist. It's really nice looking, and I can't wait to get mine, but I just can't see this design as being iconic. Give it 4-5 years and maybe it will evolve into something more fashionable that will stand the test of time. But there is no way that in 5 years people will still be wearing this fat, square design and actually thinking it still looks great.

24. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Wait, how does the black bezel look cheap?