Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

glhiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
I have a 2017 12" Macbook, 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, i7. Recently, Apple released the iPad Mini 6, and it is much more popular than I think Apple thought it would be. If they made an M1 laptop the same size as the MacBook, there would probably be enormous demand. As it is, the biggest issue with the MacBook for me is the keyboard, but the size and weight are ideal for traveling and for carrying around. I also have an M1 MacBook Air, which is obviously a good machine, but it's notably bigger than the MacBook and isn't as good for using as a portable and taking it around. Also, esthetically there is something very appealing about the MacBook vs. the other Apple laptops. The MacBook is a work of art.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 68000
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know, the M1 MBA is pretty darn small. I was shocked at how much smaller it was than my 2012 MBA with the same display size.

Reactions: WildSky

glenthompson

Contributor
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
The M1 Air is ½” and ¾” in width and length. It is about 9 ounces heavier. Not significantly smaller so I doubt there would be that great a market for it.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
The M1 Air is ½” and ¾” in width and length. It is about 9 ounces heavier. Not significantly smaller so I doubt there would be that great a market for it.

If only there was meaningful data on how customers might behave if both a 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Air were available simultaneously.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
whats the difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Air? they are both small and light laptops.
Tim Cook is trying to slimline the manufacturing process with less options to choose from so I very much doubt it

I want the 17 inch MacBook Pro to come back. shrink it an inch to 16 inches and raise the price. Classic Tim Cook move

Malus120

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2002
I have a 2017 12" Macbook, 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, i7. Recently, Apple released the iPad Mini 6, and it is much more popular than I think Apple thought it would be. If they made an M1 laptop the same size as the MacBook, there would probably be enormous demand. As it is, the biggest issue with the MacBook for me is the keyboard, but the size and weight are ideal for traveling and for carrying around. I also have an M1 MacBook Air, which is obviously a good machine, but it's notably bigger than the MacBook and isn't as good for using as a portable and taking it around. Also, esthetically there is something very appealing about the MacBook vs. the other Apple laptops. The MacBook is a work of art.

I couldn't agree more on the 12" MacBook being a work of art. Even amongst other thin and light laptops they are shockingly portable and were well ahead of their time. Now that Apple has the silicon to deliver a no compromises high performance computing experience in the form factor I'd like to think it's just a matter of time.

Perhaps Apple will just fold it into the MBA lineup though. I could see a release schedule that looks something like
14/16" MBP (Fall 2021) -> 13" MBA refresh (Fall 2021/Winter 2022) -> 12/14" MBA redesign using new MBP design language (Late 2022, early 2023). Especially with the rumored smaller bezels they could probably fit it into an even smaller package(!)

That said, from Apple point of view they'd probably see that as encroaching on/having too much overlap with the iPad Pro so who knows...

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
If they continue to shrink the bezels on the MacBook Air, they could almost make the 13 inch MacBook Air roughly the same size as the 12 inch was. If iPadOS gets better, the 11 inch iPad Pro with magic keyboard would be a nice replacement. The iPad Pro could also be why Apple won't do a new MacBook.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I got a 2016 Macbook, and I also think it is one of the best designs Apple has ever made.

While I would also like an M1 version of it, I wouldn't mind a 13" model either. In comparison, the MBA is really clunky IMHO, which says quite a bit. The Macbook was extremely light and portable, excellent looking, sturdy, and a joy to move around.

Of course, it has its issues. It was slow for almost everything (I did manage to play Civilization VI on it though, although computer turns could take more than 5 minutes), the keyboard was faulty (I got mine replaced three times!), display coating issues (Got mine replaced), only one port (I don't mind it much personally, but I would give up the mini jack for another USB-C any day).

I am at 1200 cycles now, and ~60% battery, and considering getting it replaced. But it also has some display cable issues now, so I am not sure it will be worth it, and will consider upgrading instead.

Spinning Fan

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
I still use my 11 inch MBA .. which works for what I need (second personal small machine on trips etc., where I need to take my work laptop, and an iPad is not going to be enough due to file manipulation etc..).

I know that the 11 inch MBA is not getting Monterey support, and would love to have the option of buying something new in a similar form factor. I hope there is enough of a market out there for small laptops to make this happen..

Spinning Fan

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
The 2015 MBA 11" will run Monterey (https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/07/what-you-need-to-run-macos-monterey), though I guess earlier ones will not.
Yup, mine is a 2013 (sorry for the generalization. didn't realize the 2015s were still supported ;)

Not complaining, as it has had a long life since purchased new.. Just wish it could be extended with the latest OS, since it seems to be in pretty good working order. Hopefully something comparable comes out in the not too distant future.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
People that never used a 12” retina macbook simply won’t get this. I have an M1 Air and a 2017 rMB, and there’s a noticeable difference in size and weight. I love the Macbook form factor and would love it with an M1

Reactions: DenisK and Kobra

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
People that never used a 12” retina macbook simply won’t get this. I have an M1 Air and a 2017 rMB, and there’s a noticeable difference in size and weight. I love the Macbook form factor and would love it with an M1
I couldn’t agree more! I have a 2017 rMB and I love it. Comparing the rMB with the MBA is like comparing the iPhone Mini with the regular iPhone. They are not the same and are completely different animals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.