Apple should release "iPod" for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleanup, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I keep my music and videos and etc. on my main desktop. My main desktop has fluctuated between being a Mac and a PC, but I've always used iTunes for my music organisation. All my mobile devices are made by Apple, whether it be my old MacBook, MBP, iPods, iPhones or my iPad.

The iPods, iPhones and iPad can all sync with my iTunes library. But my MacBook cannot. I can't keep multiple libraries on more than one computer. That would be unwieldly and would run through my purchased music's DRM too quickly.

The thing is, I don't want multiple copies of my iTunes library. I just want my music on all of my devices.

As far as I know all the utilities that are out there that are supposed to sync iTunes libraries between computers absolutely suck, and of course they can't handle purchased content.

So why can't we have iPod for Mac OS X? It would be available on all Apple portables. You can connect your MacBook/MBP/MBA to your desktop with its iTunes library (and hell, Apple can even charge for a proprietary USB cable for all I care) and it will sync just as though it's an iPod. Of course it's a separate application from the iTunes on your notebook, so you can't sync that music further to an iPod, iPhone, etc. They're completely separate. It's like your notebook is an iPod.

This would be ideal for me. When I'm using my laptop, I don't want to have to listen to music on my iPhone and drain its battery unnecessarily. Chances are, I'm at work, a library, cafe, etc. I can sit down and plug my headphones into my notebook. But I've got no music on it. This solves that problem, with no licensing issues (since the notebook is just treated as another personal media device as long as there's some way Apple can prevent access to the files/encrypt them, etc.), and everyone's happy.

I dunno, call me, crazy, but I'd love it if Apple would do this. I'd pick up an 11.6" MBA in a heartbeat. Honestly it's the fact that I won't be able to easily keep media synced between my computers that keeps me from replacing my iPad.

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

1. Plug External Drive into USB port.
    2. Copy iTunes Library to drive.
    3. Paste into 2nd computer.
    4. Done.

I have 4 computers in my house. All with same library. This is why you can "Authorize" up to 5 computers to your iTunes account so you can manage DRM amongst several computers.

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

that's a tedious process. i want it to be seamless. i don't care about having a second library. then i have to worry about authorizing, deauthorizing, etc. and every time i get new music "which is often," adding it to the other library is a tedious, manual process. it's like i have to do it multiple times.

it's wouldn't be terribly difficult for apple to write an app like this. they're all about integration, so make it easier for me to keep my music synced between computers!

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Why not keep your media on a NAS? Point the iTunes library of each computer to the NAS and any update will be reflected on each computer. Syncing computers between one another will probably happen in the future, but I suspect a small minority of users have multiple computers to begin with so Apple may not feel the necessity.