Apple should sell iPhone without accessories

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nutmac, Nov 9, 2017.

1. nutmac macrumors 601

All iPhones are bundled with $65 to $76 worth of accessories:
    1. Lightning to USB-A cable ($19)
    2. 5W USB power adapter ($19)
    3. EarPods ($29)
    4. 3.5mm adapter for 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, and X ($9)
    I use AirPods and USB-C (soon AirPower), so I have no use for any of these accessories. I am paying premium for things I don't use, which is bad for my wallet and the environment.

I don't expect Apple will discount iPhone by $65 to $76 in lieu of bundling these accessories.

I would frankly settle for $50 Apple Store gift card or even meager $25 price cut.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

That's known as profit. You want to take that away??

3. snatefinch macrumors member

You're quoting retail prices there. The cost to Apple for bundling is not very high. They would probably just keep them out and keep the price the same.

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

This. Those cost NOTHING to Apple. Or, very close to nothing. And, if a person has never owned an iPhone before, they need some or all of them anyway.

5. nutmac thread starter macrumors 601

Hence my willingness to take even $25 price cut.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a $25 price cut that most would likely rather have included in the box to have an extra charging cable when they need it most or have an extra charging brick for traveling. I would rather have the accessories included than not.

7. Newtons Apple, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

LOL! And then there are people who thought Apple should have included the AirPods with the X!

No matter what Apple does, there will be complaints.

Apple Ana’s to provide a charger and headphones, to some this is all they will ever need. You people wanting faster charging, it costs!

8. NoBoMac, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

This and this.

This recent upgrade cycle for me was a 6 to 8, so, I needed 3.5mm to Lightning dongle.

Nice to have the Lightning earbuds in case my go-to earbuds fail, get lost. Or lose the dongle.

The charger is nice to have should my primary charger fail. Can always give away or share the cable with family and friends, should they need one. Or use the extras, as mentioned above, as part of a travel kit, put in your car camping gear, etc.

Been seeing bars installing USB chargers under the bar: extra cable to take with you when going to one's favorite bistro (and won't miss if you forget to take back home with you).

9. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

Apple chargers break often enough that I prefer to receive one with a new phone.

10. SuperBrown macrumors regular

Well, I just wasted 30 seconds of my life reading this.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

FTFY
    They will gladly discount you the $3.60 I'm sure if you ask in the store :)

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I don't expect they would offer a price reduction alongside removal of accessories. Reference: Mac.

13. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

There would be a price cut of $0. Also that's just bad business on your part; when those accessories cost so much by themselves, you could just sell the ones you don't need/want and garner a profit in excess of $25.

In the past, Apple bundled docks with their iPods, and then stopped, while the prices remained the same.

14. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Won't happen - just give them to your friends or something. That's what I do.

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

For a bunch of people this might be their first iphone so they need the stuff. I wouldn't buy without ans people stated you can't have enough cables or charger bricks.

16. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I know this will never happen but I would love if during the order process for a new iPhone that supports fast charge, you were given the option to keep the default accessories (5w brick and lightning cable) as is or be able to upgrade them to the 29W power adapter and USB-C to Lightning cable for a price less than what those two things cost at retail.

Those 2 items cost $74 separately so say you were able to upgrade when you ordered for like $40-$50.

17. nextgeneric macrumors member

Well thankfully your opinion doesn't matter, because this is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

18. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Nintendo sells some handhelds (3DS etc...) without a charger and cable and you should see the amount of grief they get. If Apple did this it would be disastrous.

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Apple bundled a dock with the first gen iPhone, too. It was great. The 3G came along and the dock went and there was not a price decrease. The decrease had already happened after the first gen launched and Apple knew what they could sell a phone for, so they took out the dock to pad their margin.

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

You could buy a Pixel 2, no headphones, but no price discount either.