Apple should standardize their iDevices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by preyan, Apr 17, 2012.

1. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I wish Apple would standardize their devices. I have the iPod touch and iPad and the volumes are on different sides. Can be so confusing!!! :mad:
    So is the headphones. iPad on top, iPod touch at bottom.

I feel like I'm using two different companies products because of the device setup!!!

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

OMG you're so right. This fragmentation is going to be Apple's downfall!

4. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

LOL
    Seriously, its the "little" things that make a big difference.

Where possible, they need to keep the device, brand, setup the same!!!
    It seems to me that they are 1 company, but different divisions either not speaking to each other or trying to compete other whose idea was the best!!!:eek:

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

No. The parts go, where it was designed to go ;)
    And who designs it? Not Microsoft :D

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This theory might not fit for all devices, but here goes.

For the iPods (not the classic, though) the headphone jack is on the bottom because you put it in your pocket top edge down and when you bring it up to use it, it's facing the right way up already.

This doesn't stick with the iPhone because the speakers have to be on the bottom for symmetry with the microphone.

As for the volume rocket placement, well the iPad is a book, not a small portable device. If you want them to be on the same side...flip the iPad upside down.

8. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

Kinda knew that about the iPod but thanks anyway.
    I'd still prefer standardized buttons for iDevices. We're living in 2012. We shouldnt be restricted to "Oh, this is where certain parts are and we are bound to that":confused:

9. BrennerM macrumors regular

You aren't bound to it. You are welcome to disassemble your device and rearrange the components. Good luck!

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Most people are right handed.

Hold your iPad in your left hand, using it with your right, and tell me the buttons being on the right aren't the best place.

Now hold your iPhone/iPod with your right hand, using it with your right hand's thumb, as it was designed to be used, and tell me the buttons being on the left is not the best place.

11. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

Pathetic quirkiness for a regular. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please rather keep laughing at your own jokes! :rolleyes:

----------

Good point and I just tried it too.
    But then the volume buttons for iPad should be on the left too cause most people are right handed and that was the assumption that apple made when designing volume buttons for the iPod.

Thanks.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I drove a couple of different cars in Japan, both had the drivers seat on the right side (wrong side) of the right. The turn signal levers were on the opposite sides of the steering column. The fragmentation was awful, can't tell you the number of times I went to make a turn and turned on the windshield wipers.

13. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

If you're right handed, you would likely hold the ipad in your left hand. That leaves the right hand free to manipulate the screen. If the volume buttons were on the left, you'd have to reach across the screen to access them.

I'm sure Apple has put many many many hours of thought into the placement of the buttons.

14. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

:D
    iPods aren't as life threatening as driving :D

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think we made the point that who the hell cares if they move the volume button to the other side.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I prefer that Apple rethink and redesign their products rather than try to satisfy a niche of users that can't deal with change. I have no problems switching from my 4s to my iPad 2 to my iPod Touch. YMMV, of course.

17. simply stunning macrumors regular

This comment doesn't have to do with the first iPad, but with the 2 and the newest iPad the smart cover wouldn't allow for the buttons to be on the left side. Also, if the smart cover was on the other side, then you would open it backwards, and would not be nearly as nice to use. I just flipped my iPad over and tried opening the smart cover backwards, and it was not easy or intuitive.

I do feel like this is thought out. I don't know what the thought was on the first gen iPad, but I can say I like using my smartcover, and or any cover for that means that flips to the left, and if the cover is hanging over there, you would need a hole in it for these buttons to be there.

18. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

You forgot to mention the iPhone keypad thing. What was wrong with the original rotary number dial? That was intuitive. The keypad is so difficult to get used to. And what's up with making it upside down from the keys on my adding machine?

19. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

iPhone, held in left hand, thumb used to control volume whilst on calls.

iPhone/iPod held in left hand operated with right, again left thumb can be used for the volume key.

iPad, held in left hand, thumb too far from volume key if placed on the left side so its moved to the right side to be more easily accessible with your right hand. Also, the smart cover would cover up the buttons if they were on the left.

Sucks if you are a lefty I suppose.