apple should take notes....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tekker, Feb 15, 2011.

1. tekker macrumors regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-x5zyrf_Ew

HTC Flyer looks like a decent tablet coming out. Personally I'm intrigued by it. Engadget has decent coverage on it and from what it looks like, it was built with an HTC Sense Tablet UI with stylus integration. This is what I think could be killer if Apple implemented it with iPad 2/3.

I think I'm going to pick up one of these bad boys.

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Never gunna happen dude. Your finger=stylus.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Is there a reason you can't buy a stylus for your iPad?
    http://theipadstylus.com/

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I use the Boxwave stylus (along with the Penultimate app). The tip of this stylus is rubbery and firmer, not foamy and squishy like the Pogo.

5. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

Have fun...

Looks kind of junky to me. A stylus? seriously? that's so 1999.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The tablet makers are desperate to unseat the iPad ... a long uphill battle for all of them :cool:

7. tekker thread starter macrumors regular

:(
    I can handle using my finger, but for such a large screen, it feels less awkward using a stylus than my finger.

I bought one a few months ago, it seems kind of weird because the 'tip' is rounded.

It's more for the note-taking and drawing factor than anything else. Even if you're not a fan of styluses, you should check out the integration for the pen, it's pretty cool.

7 inches portability + stylus for note-taking + stylus integration for the OS overlay = win in my book.

8. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

A stylus/pen device feels even more awkward to me because I can't rest my hand on the screen while trying to write with it, like I do with pen and paper. So, for me at least, it seems my finger is actually somewhat more acurate than a stylus.

I really didn't expect that.

9. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

I'm thankful every day that people on this forum have absolutely no decision-making ability at Apple ;-)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So apple single handily re-invented the tablet market in one fell swoop but they better take notes on others who have yet to publish a tablet?

Competition is good, as it will push everyone to better designs and helps the consumer but seriously. Why should apple "take notes" when any new tablet hits youtube, or engadget.

I think the apple designers have an excellent understanding of what the consumers want.

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you'll never be happy with what you get, because you will always want what the competition produces that beats what you already have.

Besides...a stylus?! You have fingers, use them.

Wrong. Apple designers have a tendency to understand what the consumers don't know they want.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You said it brother! :p

13. kdarling, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Check out Engadget's video on the Flyer's stylus based note taking app, Scribe. Very nicely integrated.

Just as in the real world, there are reasons why we use both fingers and pens.

Sooner or later it's going to be seen as normal for a tablet to have multiple types of input, from touch to stylus to voice to air gestures.

Also, remember all the drooling when people saw mockups of the pen based MS Courier.

14. poloponies Suspended

Apple should also take note of the Flyer's $900 entry-level pricing.

15. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

Why does Apple need to keep taking notes?

A stylus with a pressure sensitive surface (licensed by Wacom) opens up the ipad (or any tablet) to more applications and users, whether they be artists or in the medical field.

Keep an open mind inside your walled garden.

16. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Because all of those stylus-based tablets that have been available for years have done so well. Not to mention all of those phones that switched to styli after the iPhone came out. Oh wait...

17. baummer macrumors 6502a

To be fair, a lot of the problem with those products came down to poor interfaces and terrible software. If Apple builds its own stylus and matching software, integrated into iOS, then that would be yet another selling point. An optional accessory even.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

We need a separate forum for the "iPad/iPhone/Mac Killer" threads. Its getting annoying and old.

19. poloponies Suspended

Not saying there isn't utility in it, just that not every feature needs to be crammed into the iPad without consideration as to pricing. If the implementation of the tech drives the entry point up a few hundred dollars then what that suggests to me is that it belongs in a different device, which Apple will undoubtedly release one day. In the meantime, every competitor is struggling to find a niche or a way to differentiate their device. That doesn't mean Apple has to collect every feature and throw it into the next iPad. There's plenty of market to go around.

20. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

That's pretty much it!

I haven't checked yet - what's the screen resolution.

Hopefully, Apple comes out with something like this soon, so my investment in iPad apps isn't wasted.

21. Mike Reed macrumors regular

The lack of proper stylus input is the one thing that has and continues to disappoint me about my iPad. I still get a lot of use out of it, and of course enjoy it for everything else but when it comes to note taking (and I cringe even thinking this) I really miss my ancient Windows XP tablet PC with OneNote.

30 years of reinforced training to write with a pen isn't going to be wiped out by any product, no mater how magical. :p

I've seen a tablet demoed by ASUS (I think) that looked pretty slick for note taking. It had the stylus input, and thankfully didn't try to be much more than a very precise notepad.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Unless this thing is priced at 400 dollars, apple doesn't need to take notes.
    stop telling apple to take notes on these overpriced android tablets. You want iPad 2 be 700-800 dollars? Get out.

23. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

OP.....u cant be serious!! A STYLUS? Really?!

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The HTC tablet can use fingers or stylus. What's wrong with that?

There's a whole lot of drawing and writing activities that work better with a pen.

Are you going to claim that you go through each year without ever using a pen or pencil? Do you sign checks by fingerpainting?

25. bocomo macrumors 6502

so can the iPad

and 7" tablet = fail in my opinion (still can't fit it in your pocket, i like the bigger 9" screen for doing everything)