Apple Should Turn To Sprint/Clearwire

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdowns, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Article link

Interesting article even though from a wall street analyst. Makes several compelling business reasons.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Instead of partnering with Sprint, why not buy Clearwire outright? I know Sprint owns 51% and Google, Intel, TWC, Comcast and others own nice chunks so Apple would have to pay a premium, but why deal with a third party when you could do it yourself?

That $35+ Billilon isn't doing them any good in the bank. Why don't they spend it and gain an end-to-end Apple experience?

They like to buy small tech and make it their own, given. Clearwire, for the arena it's in, is small tech. They're nowhere close to the likes of any other provider, size and reach wise. Cut out the providers all together and connect us straight to the Mothership.

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's certainly doable for Apple. Clearwire's market cap is $4.71 billion. Apple wouldn't need to own it all, they could work out an agreement with Sprint.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

^^I guess that's a possibility, too. Only thing there is agreeing to terms with Sprint.

I live in NC and Raleigh, Charlotte and Greensboro just got Clearwire's new 4G service. To say I'm jealous is a huge understatement. It won't make it down my way for a few years, I'm sure. I don't know of anyone using the service yet, but it's gotta be fantastic to be able to connect any and everywhere on whatever device you choose to your single plan.

You know anything about this 200Ghz spectrum? Namely, would a Clearwire service in these cities be a monopoly? Could other companies operate on or near these frequencies?

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I would love for Apple to make the iPhone available to Sprint. It's hard to imagine how the market would handle it if the iPhone was on all networks as the article states toward the end. Is there any phone currently available on all networks? Exclusivity seems like it's just a part of the cellular business. Of course if the iPhone does become available on more than one network then it will be interesting to watch the switching that takes place as people jump back and forth between carries depending on who has the best offer. But hey, that's capitalism at it's best.

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would sure be interesting. Even if other phones were available on all networks here, they're not iPhones so we wouldn't know.