iPod Apple should update prices on refurb iPods

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
I know this is kind of pointless, but I was looking around at Apples refurbished iPods on their websites, and they are selling a 30GB Video for $199, and a 6GB Mini for the same price. I kind of though that was funny. IMO, they need to seriously reduce the price of the Minis. I mean the screen is black and white and the Nano's are 80$ cheaper than them. I am also a little surprised at how cheap the refurb videos are, I remember not too long ago that the 4G Photo iPod was like 40$ more than the videos are now.
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
well you must remember the mini has more space than a nano, firewire support and is generally more liked than the nano is.
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
Yeah, I'll give you that but I still think that it should be cheaper than the video:D
 

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
1,123
0
Arlington VA
Zwhaler said:
Yeah, I'll give you that but I still think that it should be cheaper than the video:D
I agree, if i had $200 i would definitely buy a video over a mini, even though the mini was the best selling ipod.
 

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
525
0
i would agree much more if apple holds a similar ratio after the next iPod update. there is being stubborn and then being marketing dumb.
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,708
0
Zwhaler said:
I know this is kind of pointless, but I was looking around at Apples refurbished iPods on their websites, and they are selling a 30GB Video for $199, and a 6GB Mini for the same price. I kind of though that was funny. IMO, they need to seriously reduce the price of the Minis. I mean the screen is black and white and the Nano's are 80$ cheaper than them. I am also a little surprised at how cheap the refurb videos are, I remember not too long ago that the 4G Photo iPod was like 40$ more than the videos are now.
It's called the Law of Supply and Demand. Limited supply but still high demand. Minis are still very much desired by lot of people who want the color anodized aluminum look and feel. They're practically collector's items now. Nanos, on the other hand, can be had anywhere. Supply galore. Hence the lower prices on the refurbs.
 

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
1,401
0
CO
eva01 said:
well you must remember the mini has more space than a nano, firewire support and is generally more liked than the nano is.
Don't get me wrong - I love my sister's Mini (mainly because of its resistance to scratches and stronger enclosure) - but I'm not sure that it is more liked...

...my friends with the Mini (and my sister) are jealous of the Nano - not only because of Nike+, but because it's freaking small :p , has great battery life, the color screen, and the flash memory.
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
adk said:
perhaps you are undervaluing the idea of getting a new applecare warranty on a product that's been out of production for almost a year now?
I'm not talking about Apple Care, but the iPod itself.
 

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
2,448
1
West Coast
Zwhaler said:
I know this is kind of pointless, but I was looking around at Apples refurbished iPods on their websites, and they are selling a 30GB Video for $199, and a 6GB Mini for the same price. I kind of though that was funny. IMO, they need to seriously reduce the price of the Minis. I mean the screen is black and white and the Nano's are 80$ cheaper than them. I am also a little surprised at how cheap the refurb videos are, I remember not too long ago that the 4G Photo iPod was like 40$ more than the videos are now.

A lot of this is based on MSRP, as well.

You have to remember that an iPod Mini cost X amount of dollars in 2004, and since then, newer and cheaper things have been released, but that same iPod Mini cost amount of dollars to make, so they can only mark it down a certain degree.

(That's why sometimes you see crazy stuff like the marked down previous generation Powerbook costing more than the one that had just been released, even though the new one had way better specs.)
 

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
2,448
1
West Coast
Zwhaler said:
I'm not talking about Apple Care, but the iPod itself.
What he's saying is the older, out of production item is being sold with a full year warranty (AppleCare).

I still don't get his point, though, as any of the refurb iPods have a full year of AppleCare with them, so it's no real advantage over the Nano.
 

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
259
0
man those minis were nice though, i wish they would make a video ipod with that hard scratch resistant shell that the minis sported