Apple Shows Off Night Mode on iPhone 11 and 11 Pro in New Video

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new Night Mode video on its YouTube channel, highlighting the low-light photography feature added to the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max.

The short video is set to the song "We Only Come Out At Night" by the Smashing Pumpkins and features several Night Mode comparison images, many of which Apple has shown before.

Night Mode is one of the key new features in the new iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max, and Apple has been heavily advertising it.

Night Mode is able to capture much brighter pictures in low lighting conditions using AI software and the A13 chip.

Article Link: Apple Shows Off Night Mode on iPhone 11 and 11 Pro in New Video

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Are there significant hardware dependences on the newer phones? Or could have this been brought to older iPhones?

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
Alaska
How about adding "Video in Night Mode"? Video in low light is horrendous!
What frame rate/Rez are you shooting? Night motion capture mandates lighting, regardless of the camera you’re using. The iPhone 11 Pro’s capturing the best video of any smartphone on the market at this point. I’m not sure what you’re asking, as capturing high resolution and frame rate motion requires extremely expensive lenses, high dynamic range brains, and a tripod with someone with knowledge to light the scene
plenty of excellent videos have been produced on iPhone ‘in the dark‘, thanks to production knowing their job.

I’m sure computational videography is on the horizon but photography is still being fine tuned and perfected.
same as the bokeh difference between the iPhone and the 5Dmk4 or a FF Nikon with a bright prime. Difference is still night and day even though computational photography has been such a success. But today, I’m not sure how ‘video in night mode’ would be implemented without adding a dozen pounds in optics and brains/storage

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That's what my hunch was as well. In that case they should've brought it to older iphones.

Would you have a source by chance?
Google did "night mode" first on the pixel phones and you can just use that pixel camera APK on other phones like the note 9 and get night mode.

I.Ben Niemand

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Sorry for coming into this so late but noticed on their new “only come out at night” night mode commercial the fine print says additional hardware and software used... anyone have any idea which hardware and software was used?