Apple Signs Deal for 'Hala,' a Coming-of-Age Drama Executive Produced by Jada Pinkett Smith

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has purchased the rights to "Hala" a coming of age drama directed by Minhal Baig and produced by Jada Pinkett Smith, reports Variety.

The movie premiered at the 2019 Sundance film festival, and marks Apple's first purchase of the event. It's not known if "Hala" will debut on iTunes or if it will be shown in theaters.

[​IMG]

"Hala" follows the life of Hala, a 17 year old girl "navigating the conflicting worlds of her traditional Muslim household and her modern high school."
    Geraldine Viswanathan, known for "Blockers" plays the title role, while Purbi Josh, Azad Khan, Gabriel Luna, Anna Chlumsky, and Jack Kilmer also star in the movie. "Hala" is director Minhal Baig's second feature-length film.

"Hala" is one of several movies that Apple is distributing. The company has also signed a deal with film studio A24, and it has acquired the rights to "The Elephant Queen." Apple also has more than a dozen original television shows in the works, with details available in the original content section of our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Signs Deal for 'Hala,' a Coming-of-Age Drama Executive Produced by Jada Pinkett Smith

2. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Will her son and daughter be in it?

After Earth. Nepotism runs strong in that family.

3. eeboarder macrumors member

eeboarder

She’s awful. This is a hard no for me.

4. ferdinandcc macrumors member

Can the chatter about Apple avoiding adult material officially end now?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2019 ---
    You know it’s already been cast, filmed, and premiered right?

5. 341328 Suspended

Apple and Tim pushing his agenda again. While working with China. Please.

6. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

I know 28-30 TV series is technically ‘more than a dozen’. But shouldn’t MR at some point write more than two dozen?

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Imagine how silly you’d look if you put a similar comment on Netflix’s forum every time they released or bought a new TV show or film.

Unless you’re suggesting Tim Cook is a 17 year old Muslim female, or you just saw the word “Muslim” and surmised that Apple must therefore be pushing a political agenda, I’m struggling to find how you came to your conclusion.

8. Mike_Trivisonno macrumors member

Mike_Trivisonno

9. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

Apple Ping was a better idea than this new venture for Apple.

10. Rojaaemon macrumors regular

It sounds super exciting and look at that dramatic photo of a young girl in hijab sitting in an empty swimming pool. That is drama defined!

Icing on the cake: A short title which has no meaning unless you speak Arabic. Can't wait!

11. nikaru macrumors 6502

Im sorry that you are struggling to see the obvious. Among hundreds of movies, Apple went for the dramatic story of this good muslim girl that is having a hard time developing as a person within the limits of its own religion while she lives in white western cristian society that is oppresing her famility's traditions and religion. And this movie would be obviously on the front home screen of every person who subscribe to the future apple content service.

12. Rojaaemon macrumors regular

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Nothing wrong with that; I see many other Hollywood stars doing this.

Either way this reads like a very good story!!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---
    Please tell me what it means. We “here” in wanting to watch a very fresh take of story that is different than what Hollywood pushes or what the Hays Code still shows up in movies like Will Smiths “focus” - good movie yet I’m sick of some content that repeatedly gets played out.

You seriously don’t want to see a movie with a fresh new perspective of lives other may go through different from your own? That’s fine. Just remember any movie that any distributor is carrying will be marketed in some way on the front of customers that consume such content. Be it Solo, lady with the dragon tattoo etc. Netflix’s offerings are no different showing various content on the main screen that not everyone is going to like.

We have choices of offerings that both you and I can enjoy and choose. That’s a good thing.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

According to RT jury is split (for now). Some complaints about a cliché'd story.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hala/

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Fair enough. I can understand the 'teenager coming into adulthood; finding out who they are' cliche ... but this take is still a bit fresh, at least here in N. America even if a lot of people are aware of the fear or common practice of arranged marriages (merits/caveats)

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I tend not to judge movies I haven't watched yet. I guess we'll see. It doesn't sound interesting to me, but that doesn't mean that it's not well made. "Searching" (2018) didn't interest me either, but after watching it I found it one of the best movies of the decade.

17. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Tell the guys who buy jeans from Bangladesh, t-shirts from Vietnam and electronics from China. Please...

18. d0nK macrumors 6502

d0nK

islam vs a non-Muslim civilisation.

World history has already taught us hard lessons there, thanks.

PASS.