Apple Signs Writers Guild Contract, Setting Possible Precedent for Future Negotiations

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has signed the current Writers Guild of America master contract, agreeing to terms above the minimum for programming offered free online. This is significant because it could have implications for the next round of WGA talks ahead of the expiration of the current contract in May 2020, Variety reports.

[​IMG]

In a message to WGA West members, President David A. Goodman and executive director David Young wrote:
    In other words, the better deal (for writers, at least) that Apple agreed to with the WGA could act as a starting point for contract negotiations, rather than the lower standards in the current contract.

Apple has been active in developing shows and movies for its own platforms in recent years, including signing actress Lizzy Caplan for its new series "Are You Sleeping?" and landing the TV adaptation rights to Gregory David Roberts' 2003 novel "Shantaram."

Article Link: Apple Signs Writers Guild Contract, Setting Possible Precedent for Future Negotiations

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

"These deal terms are significant"

just as significant as WGA's "win" in 2007

3. Art Mark macrumors regular

Art Mark

4. benj4min macrumors newbie

So, does this mean that the original Apple programming will possibly be "free" to view? No subscription model? If so, I'm curious about how they plan to monetize. I can't imagine ads throughout the content. That wouldn't feel very "Apple" at all.

5. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

As a member of WGA, I am skeptical. I fear they'll screw writers out of income. When has Apple used their long claws to push money on the table *towards* someone else. Rhetorical.

6. zantafio macrumors regular

Now let's hope Apple will also sign a contract with the Film Actor Guild.

7. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Not being from USA, I didn’t understand the meaning of the article. Could someone help me understand it in an alternate way?

Thank you :)

8. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Apple have made a collective agreement with the writers' union on payment for their work (on TV shows, movies, etc.). This should also include details of payments for repeat runs, different media, etc. It massively simplifies contract negotiation and lets everyone know what is expected of both parties.

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Including it with the hardware would be quite Apple, though. Buy a $1000 iPhone or Mac? Have iLife and iWork on us.

10. Zenithal macrumors 603

Writer's Guild? What do they do? Supply the booze and cigs?

11. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Oh! That’s great then! Thank you :)

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

and apparently they agreed to a much higher contract than what the guild would require for the media they are working with. generally streaming is treated to lower terms than broadcast tv but it sounds like Apple is actually using the higher cost broadcast contract which is great for the writers. plus basically everyone else cause they can use this to get Apple to use their higher level contracts as well.