Apple Silent on iPad 1 crashing

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bucharoo1, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Bucharoo1 macrumors member

Bucharoo1

It is epidemic, and Apple is silent.
    Serious problem with iPad1 crashing Safari and other apps or simple refusing to start them. Web is lousy with reports of same.
    Suggest Class Action if Apple does not provide fix asap!

My dear 87 year-old Mother-in-law depends HEAVILY on the iPad1 for communication and other essentials and now she feels ignored and abandoned by the mother ship.
    Apple must get off the dime, OR PAY!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iOS 5 is so far a bit of a mess, the new iCloud features are really nice but it's a bit of a mess.
    Safari crashes
    iMessages may or may not work
    WiFi is hit & miss
    Bluetooth needs a kick in the stack

3. JakRox macrumors member

Having same problems with Safari on iPad 1 as well.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'm not experiencing anything in which you speak of OP. My friends don't have any noted issues with theirs either.

Try a clean install see if it helps.

5. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

There is definitely an issue with iOS 5.x on the original iPad and crashes and hangs - and clean installs do not help. I've experienced these with all 5.x betas and full releases and (along with other devlopers i know) have filed bug reports with Apple. There appear to be memory management/leak problems that are difficult to address on hardware with lower amounts of memory such as the original iPad and iPhone 3GS.

Hopefully an iOS update will address these issues soon...

RTP.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

That sucks, I guess my safari use isn't as heavy so perhaps we just dont notice it. Too bad a restore does no good, hopefully 5.1 will be better for you.

7. beauparc macrumors member

I'm using Safari every day without any problems whatsoever. I've never had a crash and never had to reset (I don't know how, anyway!).

As I said elsewhere I won't be changing my iPad 1 for an iPad 3. Can't see any point - it does what I want without fail.

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

When I had my iPad 1 I don't have any problem with it onces or ever I switching to an iPad 3 since is newer and his a faster processor and retina display and my iPad 1 don't have a camera or video and I think the iPad 3 will have a better camera then the iPad 2

9. Voxone macrumors member

Voxone

When is an upgrade, not really an upgrade?

I've experienced the same thing since upgrading to iOS5. Safari crashes, when typing there is a lag between keystrokes and letters actually appearing. VERY frustrating. I, too, am waiting for a fix for this. A friend at work has expressed exactly the same sentiments regarding his iPad 1.

Voxone

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

There are some pretty big threads about this over on Apple discussions. I'm having the same issues on my iPad 2, just not as bad. Some of us have gone as far as complete restores and build from scratch, others have had replacements with no luck.

Seems to be a memory issue. Looking at diagnostic logs shows lots of instances. I'm sure there's another contributing issue but that's little consolation for those of us having the problems. Sometimes mine is ok for an entire day and other times Safari won't stay open for one web page.

I think the main gripe is that there is no acknowledgment and statement that they are working on something. I'm sure this is hard to track down but the standard 'Apple cone of silence' makes for very frustrated consumers.

I'll be honest, if the next 5.1 doesn't fix it I'm not buying another Apple product. I currently have well over $1000 sunk into my iPad (iPad, case, HDMI, apps, etc). But it's now unusable at times. That certainly makes me rethink any future purchases.

11. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I've sent them some angry feedback myself. A customer for some years now, and currently have 3 macbooks, and ATV2, ipad, ipod touch, ipod classic, and a Time Capsule, I will certainly not be purchasing anything else unless they at least acknowledge an issue, and that they are fixing it. Why on earth should I fork out more cash for a product that could well do the same thing?

The annoying thing is that all my other mac stuff works fine, years down the line, but Apple seem to be happy to just let the ipad1 go obsolete in a very short space of time. For the price, it is not a disposable item.

12. MajorTCS macrumors regular

I agree with the OP. This crashing is way out of hand. Also agree it is time for Apple to acknowledge the problem. (Memory?) My gut tells me it is a memory problem that can't be fixed with an update and, that Apple is ignoring it. it is time to consider boycott/class action. Apple users unite..........

13. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Same problem with my iPad 1. I've turned off everything possible to turn off, but that doesn't really help. I'm getting an iPad 3 when they come out, but don't think I will ever update it if Apple doesn't supply a fix for these crashing problems many of us are having. I would gladly go back to an older version of iOS if they would just let me.

14. Madreliz macrumors newbie

IPad 1 crashing

I went in to an Apple store to talk to a Genius, and he said to make sure I turn it off every day.mI practically begged him to sell me an iPad 2, but he said that wouldn't be necessary if I switch it off regularly. He did acknowledge that new apps like Tetris HD might use up a lot of the RAM and cause my iPad to crash. Could the "cone of silence" include denial?

15. Muttilou macrumors newbie

iPad 1 crashing

I am also having problems with my iPad crashing and a delay when typing...this is my first apple product and I'm so disappointed. my 1st iPad in just short of two yrs started having problems for about 6 mos, I called apple had extended warranty soo glad, anyway called apple several times each time they had me do all this stuff to fix..was on the phone with them approx 4 hrs...finally they said go to apple store and get a replacement. Went to apple store and he did all this stuff to my iPad and said go home and do some more crap. I live 30 miles away from the closest store. Next day went back problem still not solved. In the mean time, lost all my calendar. So finally they gave me another, refurbished of course. So warranty up in 90 days, day one, SAME issues!!!!! Took back to store yesterday, they wiped out everything (their wifi was out???) had to come home reload each app. Etc. STILL SAME FREAKING ISSUES!!!!!! I'm so frustrated that I can't see straight. I put out over 1000. For this baby and it sucks. I said something to genius guy yesterday about the iPad 1 crashing in safari and he goes yes and got this far away look in his eyes....I'm so tried of the run around but I'm willing to bug these people till they bar the doors on me. Every 90 days I WILL go back and get yet another one till this issue is fixed!!!!!

I'm ready for a class action suit!!!!!!

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

my ipad 1 is NOT crashing

I don't understand. I don't have this crash problem and I use my iPad 1 a lot every day, even though I have now acquired a 4th gen one. The reason I haven't unloaded this device yet and gifted it on is that it has archives of mags I don't feel like reloading, lazy me...

Anyway this crashing, maybe it's related to particular apps that use up more memory than the ones I use, and then Safari doesn't like to play with what's left.

I do use Safari on the iPad 1 on a regular basis, since a few of the magazine or paper subs that I take are web apps rather than standalones. The only times I've experienced iPad 1 crashes are after various app updates were applied, and whenever that happened, I just deleted the apps and reinstalled their updated versions. Pain in the neck, that, but solved the problems.

As for class action lawsuit, I considered laughing out loud, but since I'm not a lawyer and not a judge I will tone it down to a giggle.

17. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

They have never admitted any of the bugs / problems. Antennagate? Scuffgate?