Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinNobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2020
Australia
Hey everyone,

So it appears like the bootloader files for the Apple Silicon DTK have been hidden in a macOS Big Sur OTA update for the T2 Chip. After extracting some of the startup icons using IMG4Tool and iBootIm, I have discovered the Sad Mac has returned under the name of 'USB-C Recovery Mode'.

I suspect for Apple Silicon Macs, this screen would show up when the built-in macOS Recovery and System Recovery are both unable to launch, which would require the Mac to be restored using a secondary Mac that has Apple Configurator 2.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.25.56 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.25.56 am.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 2,359

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hey everyone,

So it appears like the bootloader files for the Apple Silicon DTK have been hidden in a macOS Big Sur OTA update for the T2 Chip. After extracting some of the startup icons using IMG4Tool and iBootIm, I have discovered the Sad Mac has returned under the name of 'USB-C Recovery Mode'.

I suspect for Apple Silicon Macs, this screen would show up when the built-in macOS Recovery and System Recovery are both unable to launch, which would require the Mac to be restored using a secondary Mac that has Apple Configurator 2.

What do you all think?
I wouldn’t expect an easter egg like that to make it into an actual shipping ASi Mac.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yea, my mac is SAD :(

Windows 10 does it too on a BSOD. so i guess it's not all bad... As usual, i always tend to think Apple does these things to "keep in line" with other OS's,

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Maybe the first ARM Mac will be put in a Mac128K case. This will work if it doesn't have a fan and doesn't require any external connectivity, except the power lead.
Will you still need to use a SCSI cable for external devices? I still have my fat mac (128K upgraded to 512K) and associated 10 MB drive, which is 3 inches high and the same size as the bottom of the Mac. Drive has a separate power cord. Paid $2495 for Mac and $499 for the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.