Apple silicone case feel

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TorontoSS, Oct 1, 2014.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Hi - I have question about the Apple silicone case for the iPhone 6. We all know it feels great (it does for those who haven't felt it). I could be wrong but I don't think other silicone cases feel like this (am I wrong - let me know if so).

I would like to know:

- does this feel last on the material? Ie will it feel the same in say 6 months?

- I've read the black case has more oil stains etc after using it. Is the material different or is it the colour? Does that feel the same?

Thanks!

2. victoriani macrumors member

I had the blue one. It felt really nice but in the end, the attraction of lint was really annoying me being quite OCD so I returned it and got the leather midnight blue case instead. Much much better. For me anyway! I feel having tried both, the leather is very Apple.

Silicone lasts a long time and I think due to the quality, would be long lasting if you can put up with some lint. It isn't as bad as some silicone but it was enough to annoy me.

3. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't mind the lint at all but I can be ocd about the feel of the case. I think those may be my own issues to sort out though!

4. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I had the silicone case as well but later swapped it out for the apple leather case. The leather just seems to provide more grip and a nicer feel. But then I come on here and people seem to rave about the silicone. Am I missing something here?

5. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I tried both the leather and the silicone and decided on the silicone. I had a black leather on my 5S and loved it, but the leather for the 6/6+ doesn't feel the same. I'm not sure if a different material was used or manufacturing process, but I think the new leather case won't be as sturdy. I know others here were posting pics on what happens if it gets wet and the blotches it leaves.

6. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the silicone has a nice touch to it so I went for that one. I find that you can find similar leather ones on the market but not similar silicone ones.

7. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I'd add a quick update. I have both the black and green ones and it does seem to me the colour ones feel a BIT softer. Does anyone else think that or am I just insane?

8. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I am totally here at this moment. I have the Blue Silicone case on my Space Gray iPhone 6! I love the color! I love the design and feel! It's been about a week but no stains, no wear BUT it attracts SO MUCH white lint!

You can't really notice it far away and the blue color is still so vibrant. But when there's a lot of lint, it's starting to affect the grip/texture.

It's bothered me to the point that I got an Incipio Feather in the same near-blue color. But instead of silicone it's a matte finish touch. It feels quite similiar but not as much lint and I'm still decided between the two!

9. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the incipio feather really feel similar to the Apple silicone?

10. gdup7777 macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm in the exact same situation. Same colors and cases. I don't mind the lint attraction as much on the silicone, but its just a tad "grippier" than I'm used to and doesn't slide into my pocket as easily as I'd like. I love the added grip when its in my hand though, which I think enables more one-handed use on my regular 6. The overall design, button protection and stain resistance are major benefits as well.

The feather is more slippery than I expected, but does feel nice. I wish they had covered more of the top of the phone. This is silly, but even as a guy with short hair, some strands got caught in the gap between the case and top/side of the phone when on calls. Also, based on my experience with other soft-touch cases, I don't expect the feather to resist sweat/dirt staining as well as the silicone probably will.

So to wrap up, I'm undecided at the moment as well, but leaning towards the silicone as my daily driver. I think I'm already adjusting to slower pocket sliding. I'll probably keep both though.

11. shr631 macrumors member

For my space gray regular 6, I bought the midnight blue leather and the "black" silicone cases. I loved the md blue leather and it was the first one I tried. I then tried the black silicone case and instantly loved the secure tight fit and the solid grip, plus it felt better able to protect on drops. I was however instantly annoyed by the lint.

If the leather and silicone cases were otherwise the same (they're not, despite what others have written elsewhere in this forum) I'd have kept the midnight blue for sure. It's that good looking, and provides decent grip. But the fit, while pretty good on the leather, wasn't as good as on the silicone, and the microfiber lining doesn't come as high up on the leather.

Only problem with the silicone, besides being my second choice, is that the texture feels a little too "silky" at times and I'm nit sure if that'll get worse. Anyone know?

Other than that silicone has been great for daily use.