Apple silicone cases: Peeling or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sneak3, Mar 13, 2015.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

I wanted to try a white or green silicone case but reading some real people reviews I saw A LOT of complaints about peeling.

Is that still an issue?
    Could it be a manufacture flaw or all those people have been using the case in a "wrong" way?

Lastly, should I maybe go with leather without looking back?

2. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Yes, according to apple, they were "holding it wrong".
    Just try it. If it has an issue, give it back under warranty/guarantee and get a leather case.

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm thanks. I wouldnt like to go through all that though. I'm not in the US and the warranty process here wouldn't be as straight forward.

So how can I tell whether I'm holding it right or wrong? Any instructions on that? I'd like to know if I would be able to live with them.

4. Zenton macrumors member

Have you considered the leather case?

I used an Apple silicon case for about a month, then it drove me crazy. It's too sticky. I found it too bulky. The leather case is bulky as well yes but the material is way nicer (plus it isn't sticky).

If a colourful silicon case tickles your fancy, I suggest going for some "ultra thin" one.

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any suggestions on leather case colors for a silver iphone?

And what are those ultra thin ones you are talking about? I do like the colors of the silicone ones but would not consider something essential.

6. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Sorry, that "holding it wrong" was a joke which started with the iPhone4 #antennaGate.

So, then I would go with a leather case. I think the leather case was recently changed because of an issue. You might find the thread through the search function.

7. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't find it :(

Do you remember what issue exactly was being discussed?

8. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

They are crap, threw mine away and bough a Tech21

Apple is not a case manufacturer..

9. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I am using the red apple silicone case and its perfect. Its easy to remove and put it back. I usually do it once a day to clean the phone. Its not bulky and the black and red combo looks amazing. It also adds a lot of grip

10. Zenton macrumors member

Apple silicone cases: Peeling or not?

Just pick the colour you like the best.

There are plenty of them from various manufacturers, but it is my understanding that essentially they all are more or less the same.

Google "Shumuri slim case" and you should find one that's also been discussed here.

If it's possible you should definitely check as many cases as possible in person before purchasing.

Edit. Check these out

Shumuri: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1782294

Slim case thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1777805

11. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Besides peeling, I heard that silicone cases lose their grip and become just like those slippery cheap cases.

I think I got to go with leather.

12. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

I think the leather would come off or something and it was in particular about a red leather case. I did a quick search but did not find it either. It is probably in one of those really long iphone case threads.

I hope I did not mix it up with the silicone one. But anyway I think it was improved for some reason (the leather case).

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Didn't get the Apple silicon but did get the Tech21 Evo Mesh @ Apple. Sweet case.

14. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

I would really check some reviews on here beforehand. I have read from at least two people whos iPhone was damaged/scratched by the otterbox itself.

If you are worried about your iPhone at the moment and don't have any protection get a cheap TPU case from amazon (e.g. in Germany the best selling one is around 5 EUR incl. shipping if you have Prime).

Then you can search and look for your favorite case without risking to damage your iPhone.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I am a big fan of the silicone case. I have the silver/white phone with the white silicone case. The white is a perfect match and I find it gives the phone much more grip. I really liked the super thin Shumuri but found it to be as slippery as the naked phone. For me, the silicone just has a great feel in the hand.

As for peeling - yes the bottom edges will come apart from the plastic underneath if you take it on and off a lot. The pushing and flexing of the edges causes the silicone to lose its bond and then it will eventually peel. I've had no other issues with the case. I've actually taken two back for replacements for the peeling issue. It sounds like a major pain, but I like this case that much. This time, I'm not going to take it off to try other cases cause I don't need to look any further.

16. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have already experienced peeling in 2 cases only from taking the phone in and out? That's bad...

Unless it's really that, I guess it would not be very healthy to keep on insisting on what seems a defective product.

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

There is definitely a problem with the silicone coming apart from the plastic when it is flexed. On my first case I noticed it being loose if I pushed on it with my finger. This was noticeable after taking it on and off a few times when trying some super thin cases. On my second case it stayed perfect until I got the "better case out there" bug and tried multiple other cases. Same thing with the bottom silicone edges coming loose from the underlying plastic.

I know most folks would call it a day and move on to a different case. I just haven't been able to find, as much as I have tried, another case that I like as well as the white Apple silicone. The Apple Store has replaced my other two but there were reluctant this time and told me they won't do another. That really bugs me as Apple obviously doesn't have a manufacturing process that will support the design. I guess I'll just stick with my favorite Apple cases and not take it off.

18. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I see. So it's been how long since you have this last white case on?

How has it been holding up so far now that you are not constantly taking it off? Flawless?

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've only had the newest case for 3 weeks. The second case was perfect until I started swapping cases after about 3 months. Before I swapped the case on and off, it was perfect with no loosening or peeling of the bottom edges.

20. RenoG macrumors 65816

Yup there's a lot of these complaints about the sili cases on the apple site as well and why I went with the leather one which is perfect.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

For me, I've thought about going with the leather but I really like the white on white look and also like the feel of silicone. And if you just leave the case on (which I'm planning to do this time), the case stays like new - no discoloration. If I had a black phone, I'd definitely go with the black leather.

22. wendimc macrumors member

23. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

That case is very similar to Shumuri and Caudabe. I have the Shumuri with the all around edge coverage and really, really like the "almost nothing there" look. However, for me it's way too slippery. Every time I try to use it, I find myself trying to be extra careful as it feels like the Plus will slip from my hands. When I go back to my silicone case, for me it just feels right. Also, I found that the inside of the super thin cases is very easy to scratch and the scratches do show right through the case.

24. RenoG macrumors 65816

Yeah it appears you're right because most all the complaints are only from those who are always rotating cases, the off on, off on types.