• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple SIM partner GigSky has announced that it has expanded availability of its pay-as-you-go cellular data plans for iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3 and 4 to over 140 countries, up from more than 90 countries and territories in June 2015.

The new additions, among others, include Afghanistan, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Argentina, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Dominica, Ecuador, Honduras, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Pakistan, Peru, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Tajikistan, Turks and Caicos, Uganda, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zambia, and the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. Apple has a full list of countries on its website.

GigSky-Apple-SIM.jpg

Apple SIM is embedded in the latest cellular iPads and enables users to easily switch between different short-term data plans from select carrier partners without needing multiple SIM cards. It is particularly useful for traveling abroad, especially now that coverage reaches more than 140 countries and territories through GigSky.

Other Apple SIM partners include AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile in the United States, EE in the United Kingdom, Deutsche Telekom in Germany, Three in Hong Kong, and au by KDDI in Japan. AlwaysOnline Wireless also offers pay-as-you-go LTE data plans in at least 45 countries, with the option to pay by hour, day, or megabyte.

Article Link: Apple SIM Now Available in 140+ Countries in Partnership With GigSky

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Anyone know where I can get a new SIM? I just bought a used Mini 3 LTE and it doesn't have a SIM. I would rather use one of these than an AT&T SIM.

Comment

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Question. I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited ATT data plan for ipads. I got it on the original iPad, and just kept transferring it to new iPads ever since. I haven't let it lapse. If I get one of the new iPads with the apple sim, and I transfer my unlimited data plan to it like I've done several times already....if I travel abroad and want to get a temporary data plan while in a foreign country...will I lose my att data plan by switching to another while overseas? My current iPad has a sim tray...that I can just swap out a sim when traveling. But if the apple sim is built in....will i lose my unlimited data plan from ATT if I try to switch to a diff carrier while overseas with the apple sim?

Comment

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Question. I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited ATT data plan for ipads. I got it on the original iPad, and just kept transferring it to new iPads ever since. I haven't let it lapse. If I get one of the new iPads with the apple sim, and I transfer my unlimited data plan to it like I've done several times already....if I travel abroad and want to get a temporary data plan while in a foreign country...will I lose my att data plan by switching to another while overseas? My current iPad has a sim tray...that I can just swap out a sim when traveling. But if the apple sim is built in....will i lose my unlimited data plan from ATT if I try to switch to a diff carrier while overseas with the apple sim?

The last I knew AT&T would lock down an Apple sim after you activate it with them and you can no longer use it as an apple sim when traveling. Because competition is bad for them.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You know, Apple really doesn't need a dual SIM iPhone. I mean, that would be handy for a small subset of the population, but the vast majority of people would find an Apple SIM for iPhone infinitely more useful.

Imagine having an Apple SIM in your iPhone, landing in another country, turning on your phone, and immediately being given the option to either choose a prepaid plan for that country (that can be paid for with Apple Pay) or stick with your domestic plan. Most people would love that.

Comment

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Maybe it makes sense for a
The last I knew AT&T would lock down an Apple sim after you activate it with them and you can no longer use it as an apple sim when traveling. Because competition is bad for them.
I have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T iPad plan, got the new iPad Pro from the Apple Store and transferred it the same way I always do: simply moved the SIM from my old iPad to the new one. Nothing else: it doesn't lock anything: the iPad has always been unlocked, and has been the best travel device for that reason. SIM card (which you can temporarily remove whenever you want), in no way should step on the built in Apple SIM. The only warning I've heard of: don't buy the iPad from AT&T, because they will lock it - but there is no conceivable reason to buy it from them (same for iPhone, which I also have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan, have only bought the iPhone from Apple, recent ones (like 6S) have been unlocked, All I had to do was switch over the SIM from the old one).

Comment

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Looked at the GigSky pricing: unless you can't get a local SIM, which admittedly can be a problem in some countries, it is ridiculous. Example:
In Italy the last couple of times I got a 10GB SIM from TIM for 20€ vs. 3GB for $50 from GigSky. Also the TIM one will work for a whole year. Do some research about offers for the countries you are traveling to.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You know, Apple really doesn't need a dual SIM iPhone. I mean, that would be handy for a small subset of the population, but the vast majority of people would find an Apple SIM for iPhone infinitely more useful.

Imagine having an Apple SIM in your iPhone, landing in another country, turning on your phone, and immediately being given the option to either choose a prepaid plan for that country (that can be paid for with Apple Pay) or stick with your domestic plan. Most people would love that.

Was just thinking the next logical step to make this not only truly useful, but an amazing feature, would be the ability to pay w/ ApplePay. I tried to use my AppleSIM in London last year but no-go b/c my CC mailing address was not U.K. But maybe attach an Apple Gift Card to ApplePay and no worries.

I'm unsure if it's only a small subset of the population that would find a dual SIM useful. So many people have two phones -- one for business and one for personal use. Maybe that is a U.S. thing, but that's one of the biggest markets too. At any rate I'm unsure why Apple couldn't do both. Dual SIM has zero to do with AppleSIM.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Maybe it makes sense for a

I have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T iPad plan, got the new iPad Pro from the Apple Store and transferred it the same way I always do: simply moved the SIM from my old iPad to the new one. Nothing else: it doesn't lock anything: the iPad has always been unlocked, and has been the best travel device for that reason. SIM card (which you can temporarily remove whenever you want), in no way should step on the built in Apple SIM. The only warning I've heard of: don't buy the iPad from AT&T, because they will lock it - but there is no conceivable reason to buy it from them (same for iPhone, which I also have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan, have only bought the iPhone from Apple, recent ones (like 6S) have been unlocked, All I had to do was switch over the SIM from the old one).

What the other gentleman is referring to -- which is what was reported when the physical Apple SIM first launched (not the embedded Apple SIM that the iPad Pro uses) -- is that when AT&T service is activated on an Apple SIM, AT&T locks the Apple SIM to their network, making it impossible to use that Apple SIM with another provider. The iPad itself is not locked to AT&T's network, but the Apple SIM is. Sleazy move, if you ask me.

If you decide that you want to use another provider, you have two options -- get a SIM card for the provider you want to use or go to the Apple Store and purchase a new Apple SIM card.

Reactions: ptb42
Comment

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My 9.7 iPad Pro has the imbedded Apple SIM. It worked for 2 days. I did a factory restore and now it won't work. I had to use an actual AT&T SIM card. Apple replaced the iPad and the new one does the same thing.

The Genius Bar sent in a level 2/3 ticket. That was months ago and I haven't heard a thing.

Since AT&T locks iPads down, maybe it's better they don't touch the embedded SIM. This way I could use it when traveling.

Comment

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

No, the original poster was referring to what AT&T does to the universal Apple SIM. Once you use it to buy a pay-as-you-go plan from AT&T, it can't be changed to another carrier:

http://gizmodo.com/at-t-is-locking-down-apples-universal-sim-but-its-not-1650430298

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/24/att-confirms-it-locks-ipads-new-apple-sim-card-after-activation/

The iPad remains unlocked. It's the SIM that is locked. You can buy another SIM, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the universal SIM.

Edit: Here's the MacRumors thread about it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/24/att-apple-sim/

T-Mobile's John Legere also posted a series of tweets about it, and claimed that if you chose another carrier in the US (T-Mobile or Sprint), then AT&T is no longer available as a choice:

http://readwrite.com/2014/10/28/apple-sim-card-mess-john-legere-explains-it-all/

At the time the universal SIM was announced, Verizon didn't participate. I wasn't able to find any confirmation that has changed since then.

Last edited:
Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

No. You can switch between the built-in SIM and the SIM in the card slot in the Cellular panel in settings. I was a bit paranoid too when I got my iPP so I just put my ATT SIM into the slot and changed the setting and no problem. It magically updated my ATT a/c to my new iPad (also grandfathered unlimited).

Comment

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles

...vast majority doesn't use ApplePay because it is not available in most of the countries.
Better to have the option paying via iTunes or credit card on record from previous purchases in the Apple App Store etc.
Basically charging it to your Apple ID.
By the way, 3GB for 50USD as shown in the pictures is way to expansive.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looked at the GigSky pricing: unless you can't get a local SIM, which admittedly can be a problem in some countries, it is ridiculous. Example:
In Italy the last couple of times I got a 10GB SIM from TIM for 20€ vs. 3GB for $50 from GigSky. Also the TIM one will work for a whole year. Do some research about offers for the countries you are traveling to.

This was my concern. Premium pricing.
[doublepost=1466522910][/doublepost]These pricing are outrageous!

PHILIPPINES
US$ 15 — 50 MB — 3 Days
US$ 25 — 100 MB — 7 Days
US$ 35 — 150 MB — 14 Days
US$ 50 — 250 MB — 30 Days

Prepaid plans in the country can be had that include 6GB of data for $30. GigSky is a rip-off.

Reactions: S G
Comment

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
Was just thinking the next logical step to make this not only truly useful, but an amazing feature, would be the ability to pay w/ ApplePay. I tried to use my AppleSIM in London last year but no-go b/c my CC mailing address was not U.K. But maybe attach an Apple Gift Card to ApplePay and no worries.

I'm unsure if it's only a small subset of the population that would find a dual SIM useful. So many people have two phones -- one for business and one for personal use. Maybe that is a U.S. thing, but that's one of the biggest markets too. At any rate I'm unsure why Apple couldn't do both. Dual SIM has zero to do with AppleSIM.
I had the same last year with EE and Apple SIM. The bad part, no one could help. EE referred to Apple. Apple referred to EE.
[doublepost=1466523022][/doublepost]Vodafone Spain has now all data bundles available in Spain, EU and USA. So I can use my monthly 10GB plan in a big part of the world without any hassle.

Comment

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
GigSky ain't worth the time of day when you can walk into any store front cellphone network provider in Europe, or drugstore or grocery store and pick up a SIM with so much more, for so much less, than what GigSky offers.

Here I thought that the embedded SIM could be used to get offers from the cellphone network providers directly, NOT through some 3rd party scam artist like GigSky.

Last edited:
Reactions: big-ted
Comment

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
T mobile gives me unlimited slow 3g around the world free of charge. As a person who travels allot, it's amazing honestly. Yeah I can't stream 4k video, but it handles all web browsing just fine.

Reactions: diandi
Comment

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK

China and India love their dual SIM handsets and they are hardly small markets

Comment

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
T mobile gives me unlimited slow 3g around the world free of charge.

My cousin stopped using her T-Mobile in Europe because she was only ever getting 2g - which she equated to those bygone days of dial-up internet. Profanity is not her thing, until she talks about "free" T-Mobile in Europe.

Comment

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
This is actually the type of plan that would benefit me, as a pilot I will get unplanned pop up trips and wind up in a foreign country just for the overnight. Getting a sim card at each place would be a hassle, and kind of useless if I will be only in the country for 12 hours or so.

Of course, the prices are still so outrageous, so I am unlikely to actually use their service.

I am now carrying my apple sim in my luggage just incase of future need, so I may actually try it at some point.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Glad most of MR readers don't fall into this Gigsky "scam" trap, seems MR gets sponsored by Gigsky, this is I think the third time I read a story about this here on MR.
Never buy a plan from your own country before you do some research, most countries have far better prepaid data plans available, especially in Asia, you pay ⅕ of the prices Gigsky charges you or even less.
[doublepost=1466535901][/doublepost]
This is actually the type of plan that would benefit me, as a pilot I will get unplanned pop up trips and wind up in a foreign country just for the overnight. Getting a sim card at each place would be a hassle, and kind of useless if I will be only in the country for 12 hours or so.

Of course, the prices are still so outrageous, so I am unlikely to actually use their service.

I am now carrying my apple sim in my luggage just incase of future need, so I may actually try it at some point.

This is a case where it might be convenient to get such a data plan, but aren't there WIFI spots in the places you stay?
I would expect pilots stay in places where they have all kinds of privileges like a nice room including all food and expenses like public transport if needed.

Comment

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
My cousin stopped using her T-Mobile in Europe because she was only ever getting 2g - which she equated to those bygone days of dial-up internet. Profanity is not her thing, until she talks about "free" T-Mobile in Europe.

You get email, web browsing, FaceTime audio, whatsapp and other such things done just fine. Besides paying ridiculous rate what else option is out there. When your airplane lands, you cannot buy a local SIM card until you get your luggage and exit the airport. Some countries I went to it's a greater hassle, like they say it'll take a few hours for your SIM to activate etc...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.