• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple SIM partner GigSky today announced that its data plans are now available in over 180 countries around the world.

GigSky-Apple-SIM.jpg

MacRumors obtained a list of the 40 or so new countries and territories that GigSky has expanded into as of this week:
Algeria
Bangladesh
Belize
Bhutan
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Chad
Christmas Island
Côte d'Ivoire
Curaçao
Fiji
Guam
Guyana
Iraq
Jordan
Kenya
La Désirade
Macau
Madagascar
Mongolia
Montserrat
Morocco
Myanmar
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Papua New Guinea
Rwanda
San Marino
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Suriname
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Zimbabwe
RwandaApple SIM enables iPad users to easily switch between different short-term data plans from select carrier partners without needing multiple SIM cards. Given that GigSky supports more than 180 countries around the world, Apple SIM is particularly convenient for staying connected while traveling.

GigSky data plans start at between one and five cents per MB depending on the country. To purchase an Apple SIM plan, open the Settings app and tap Cellular/Mobile Data > Set Up Cellular/Mobile Data. Data is activated immediately following payment. Plans work in the country in which they are purchased only.

GigSky's announcement also outlined some new deals:
30-day plans in Canada and Mexico now include 5GB for $50, previously 1GB for the same price. Plans in the United States and Puerto Rico include 5GB for $50, up from 3GB for the same price -- and most $50 GigSky plans in Europe offer 3GB of data. Customers will receive a minimum of 1GB in all other destinations, with many plans offering 2GB or more.
Apple SIM is embedded in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and preinstalled in the cellular-enabled new 9.7-inch iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and 12.9-inch iPad Pro sold in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the UK.

Apple SIM is also available for purchase separately at Apple Store locations in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Kingdom. Keep in mind that not all carriers support Apple SIM, and it is not available in China.

GigSky's competitors include AlwaysOnline Wireless and Truphone. Visit the Apple SIM website for other partners and countries supported.

Article Link: Apple SIM Partner GigSky Now Offers Data Plans in Over 40 More Countries

Reactions: AC1030

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You just select add new plan. It will bring up the list of carriers and you simply choose one.

I've had both Sprint and T-Mobile plans active at the same time and you simply select which carrier you want to use whenever you want.

Comment

Evan Davis

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Glad to see carriers still supporting this thing
Wish Apple SIM was supported on iPhone

Officially iPhone isn't supported.

In reality (and I've tried this with a Truphone SIM) if you activate the plan on an iPad, you can then take the SIM out and use it in an iPhone.

The only downsides of this are no incoming or outgoing calls (given it's supposed to be in an iPad) and there is no way to check your data balance or renew the plan. The SIM has to go back into the iPad for that.

Other than that, the SIM works fine in an iPhone.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If I purchase an International Day Pass from AT&T for my iPhone line, is Personal Hotspot enabled or disabled? It seems AT&T doesn't deem that to be an important enough question to include in their FAQ.

If Personal Hotspot enabled, as long as I'm going to the 100 or so countries the International Day Pass works in, it seems to me that the Day Pass would be a much better deal so long as the trip is relatively short.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I know it's not available through all carriers and that the prices are generally a bit more expensive than having a traditional plan.

But they do have access in 180 countries, and you can really see this is where Apple would love to push the sim card in the future and making it built in. For data only would be great to just choose a network the same way you connect to a wifi network. With a phone number on an iPhone it would be a bit more complicated though.

But I wouldn't be surprised in the coming years to see an Watch and iPhone that have no physical sim cards anymore. Just the build in one like the iPad Pro 9.7" has and then building out the relationships with more carriers.

Comment

name99

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2004
Glad to see carriers still supporting this thing
Wish Apple SIM was supported on iPhone

If by "support" you mean "massively screw the customer over", then, sure, carriers support this. What a surprise.

Compare what is being offered here to Project Fi. Get someone who has a Fi account to buy you an extra SIM. You can only use it for data (no problem, that's what we want) BUT, across much the same range of countries, you'll pay $10/GB flat fee with no expiration dates, per-country purchasing, or any of this other nonsense...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.