Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have the new 9.7 iPad Pro and have an AT&T SIM installed in the SIM slot. It's all working fine, but I'm going to be traveling internationally soon and so want to also select an additional plan with the Apple SIM. I have unlimited data and so I want to be very careful with this. So, when I go into Settings > Cellular, under choose a data plan, it currently says "AT&T SIM Card" and below that it says "Add a New Plan". I have two questions:

1. If I add a new plan, will this just be using the Apple SIM and be an additional plan, i.e., I definitely don't want to replace my current unlimited data plan and so I would only want an additional plan where I could freely move between the plans?

2. Which plan would be best for international usage? T-Mobile has a $10 plan that's good for 5 months, but I assume it's only for the US? While there is a GigSky option, it only allows me to add plans for the US and Puerto Rico (I guess because I'm in the US?).

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
edit: to remove possibly personally identifying information no longer relevant to the thread.

Last edited:

Wentzelg

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2014
the iPad pro 9.7 has an imbedded sim that will allow you to sign up for a temporary plan once you get to you destination. Once you do that you will see 2 carriers under cellular data. Adding a new plan won't mess with your ATT plan. I would however remove the ATT sim before you get to your destination to be sure it doesn't try to connect and you get hit with international roaming charges. The OP is giving you good advice, wait till you get there. It will be much cheaper. I was in Hong Kong a while back and the local data was super cheap and available everywhere. With the embedded sim all you should need is a Credit Card to set it up right from the iPad. I prepaid before I left on a trip to scotland and it worked fine, but was way more expensive than if I had waited and bought local.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
the iPad pro 9.7 has an imbedded sim that will allow you to sign up for a temporary plan once you get to you destination. Once you do that you will see 2 carriers under cellular data. Adding a new plan won't mess with your ATT plan. I would however remove the ATT sim before you get to your destination to be sure it doesn't try to connect and you get hit with international roaming charges. The OP is giving you good advice, wait till you get there. It will be much cheaper. I was in Hong Kong a while back and the local data was super cheap and available everywhere. With the embedded sim all you should need is a Credit Card to set it up right from the iPad. I prepaid before I left on a trip to scotland and it worked fine, but was way more expensive than if I had waited and bought local.
According to my Apple store this isn't true, just a sim in the slot like before. Can anyone confirm there is a non removable sim in addition to the slot?

Reactions: charles4515

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
According to my Apple store this isn't true, just a sim in the slot like before. Can anyone confirm there is a non removable sim in addition to the slot?
Than your Apple Store is not properly trained. The embedded SIM was mentioned during the Keynote. Apparently no one pays attention.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012

From Apple

"Apple SIM. The ultimate travel partner. All iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular models are unlocked, so you can pop in a SIM card at any time to get connected. Apple SIM for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available for purchase at most Apple Retail Stores. And the 9.7-inch iPad Pro with an embedded Apple SIM is available all over the world."

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
From Apple

"Apple SIM. The ultimate travel partner. All iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular models are unlocked, so you can pop in a SIM card at any time to get connected. Apple SIM for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available for purchase at most Apple Retail Stores. And the 9.7-inch iPad Pro with an embedded Apple SIM is available all over the world."
Again can an owner confirm an embedded sim exists, not just regurgitating the marketing.

Wentzelg

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2014
I have a pro and have two data plans operating off the internal and one operating off the external. So yes it exists and works.

For the OP that has the failed imbedded sim, I would take it back and ask for a replacement.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well a typical jerk response,an Apple employee said it didn't I don't own one so there you are. Now an owner verified.
Apple says the iPad Pro 9.7 has an embedded SIM and you don't believe them. Random person on the Internet says their iPad has an embedded SIM and that's enough confirmation for you?

Reactions: Night Spring

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well a typical jerk response,an Apple employee said it didn't I don't own one so there you are. Now an owner verified.

When official Apple webpage and random Apple low level store associate contradict each other, then you should assume the low level employee is misinformed.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Apple says the iPad Pro 9.7 has an embedded SIM and you don't believe them. Random person on the Internet says their iPad has an embedded SIM and that's enough confirmation for you?
Yes and the problem is? Do you feel better, I hope so :). At any rate it seems in the USA it's use is limited to one carrier and can be disabled by other carriers, so no use to me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have the new 9.7 iPad Pro and have an AT&T SIM installed in the SIM slot. It's all working fine, but I'm going to be traveling internationally soon and so want to also select an additional plan with the Apple SIM.

This may have changed since last year, and also be different w/ embedded SIMs, but when I was in London last year I tried to buy a local plan via the Apple SIM but it would not activate b/c the carrier required a UK credit card.

Before I left for the trip I bought the top ATT International Roaming plan for my iPhone. A bit pricey but did the trick for data and most importantly could still be contacted on my U.S. phone number. I just used my iPad w/ hotel WiFi.

On previous trips I have bought prepaid SIM cards in the country to save $ but it gets to be a time waster as in a lot of countries you can't just buy a prepaid plan off the shelf, you have to have a clerk help you, sometime show ID, etc.

Wentzelg

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2014
I agree why would Apple limit its use to one carrier in the US?
They don't. There is another thread here that explains it fully but in a nutshell here is what I belleve to be the details:
1. Verizon purchased iPad pro 9.7 has the embedded sim disabled and is sold like all new iPads with an unlocked external sim.
2. ATT iPad Pro 9.7 if activated in store or when purchased online are said to have the embedded sim slot locked to ATT and the external unlocked to be used just like all the new iPads.
3. Apple purchased iPad pro 9.7 (and I can verify this by owning one) have both the embedded and external open and usable.

4. I have read that T-mobile and Sprint do not lock the internal to their network if purchased from them.

There are some international versions that are locked (maybe japan... google it or read the other thread) to the various carriers but as far as US centric iPads the above is the current state of how they are sold.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
They don't. There is another thread here that explains it fully but in a nutshell here is what I belleve to be the details:
1. Verizon purchased iPad pro 9.7 has the embedded sim disabled and is sold like all new iPads with an unlocked external sim.
2. ATT iPad Pro 9.7 if activated in store or when purchased online are said to have the embedded sim slot locked to ATT and the external unlocked to be used just like all the new iPads.
3. Apple purchased iPad pro 9.7 (and I can verify this by owning one) have both the embedded and external open and usable.

4. I have read that T-mobile and Sprint do not lock the internal to their network if purchased from them.

There are some international versions that are locked (maybe japan... google it or read the other thread) to the various carriers but as far as US centric iPads the above is the current state of how they are sold.
Just read that on TechCrunch, thanks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone know the cost of a new Apple SIM? Can't find a price online and Google turns up nothing.

They go for $13-$20 on eBay.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Anyone know the cost of a new Apple SIM? Can't find a price online and Google turns up nothing.

They go for $13-$20 on eBay.
I thought I read on here that someone walked into an Apple Store and got one for free. I have no personal knowledge though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.