Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xelaetaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Backlight bleeding, low color screens- supposed warm screens from the Samsung ones, crappy cameras. Apples gotta get their **** together.

I hope the new iPad 2's start to get more consistent :mad:

:apple:

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Backlight bleeding, low color screens- supposed warm screens from the Samsung ones, crappy cameras. Apples gotta get their **** together.

Thats why i stayed with ipad1.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

.. and some of this in peoples' heads. I will have to find the source but they looked at the components and stated that Apple has improved each step of the way. Admittedly the LG screens were a stumble but what people are calling yellow screens right now is a level of OCD even I didn't think possible.

There are options.. Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, etc, etc. I work with devices from all of these folks for a living and I will put Apple hardware quality up there with any of them.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

Do you own an iPad 2? or are you just criticizing because it's the cool thing to do..

Also, the low camera res is not a Production issue, its a Design issue that I agree with, the iPad 2 is not a point-and-shoot camera, so why waste money on higher MP lens.

For the record my iPad 2 has minor light bleeding on two corners, but I don't have OCD so for me this is a non issue.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Do you own an iPad 2? or are you just criticizing because it's the cool thing to do..

Also, the low camera res is not a Production issue, its a Design issue that I agree with, the iPad 2 is not a point-and-shoot camera, so why waste money on higher MP lens.

For the record my iPad 2 has minor light bleeding on two corners, but I don't have OCD so for me this is a non issue.

You're still deluding yourself about that even after all these months?! How do you sleep at night :confused:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
.. and some of this in peoples' heads. I will have to find the source but they looked at the components and stated that Apple has improved each step of the way. Admittedly the LG screens were a stumble but what people are calling yellow screens right now is a level of OCD even I didn't think possible.

There are options.. Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, etc, etc. I work with devices from all of these folks for a living and I will put Apple hardware quality up there with any of them.
Yes, some of it is in people's heads. I own both an iPad1 and iPad2 and I've seen a difference in the light bleeding between the 1 and 2. The iPad1 appears to have an even light bleeding that covers the entire screen evenly... it is only noticeable when comparing it to the iPad2 that is totally black in the center and comparable but uneven bleeding along the edges.

The vibrancy of the 2's screen surpasses that of the 1 and I was extremely delighted with the 1 in the first place.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011

I'm with you 100% of the way. I'm as OCD as the next person when it comes to stuff like this, but screen temp is just blowing things out of proportion now. just saying...my opinion, i was picky about the screenbleed, but color temp is just something you compare with other similar devices...most people won't have 2 ipads to compare each one with so i really don't know.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Thats why i stayed with ipad1.

That's what She said :D

For about a week.... after playing with my iPad 2 a few times my wife changed her mind in a hurry.

To me there is no question that the No2 is better than 1. I had the iPad 1 from the day it was released and was very happy with it by the way.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Peacefully, with my iPhone 4 firmly gripped in my left hand so that I won't be woken up by a phone call.

You, sir, are magnificent! :D

I noticed some light bleed on my iPad 2 if I turned brightness all the way up, displayed a plain black screen and went into a film reloading room. In low light or normal conditions (and everything is always low/soft lighting with me) the issue disappears.

If I'm using the iPad at full brightness, staring at a blank, black screen, in perfect darkness for hours at a time, any light bleed is probably the least of my worries.

xelaetaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011

Don't own one yet, just stating what I've seen on these boards and other sites.

My iPad will be coming soon so i just hope the newer ones are more consistent with better quality.

A minor light bleed wouldn't really be an issue for me.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Don't own one yet, just stating what I've seen on these boards and other sites.

I wasn't trying to be rude with my question, but keep in mind that apple has sold a few million iPad 2s and only a few hundred/thousand frequent this forum and people are more likely to post something when they want to complain rather than praise.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
The new production ipads are much better. I had my ipad 2 sent toapple for light bleed and got a new one in 5 days with no light bleed are any other issues for that matter.

rowuncw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
It's also important to note that Apple and its contractors are producing literally millions of the devices. That the various problems aren't more widespread is a testament to the quality of the device's design in my opinion. It's easy to place yourself at the center of the world if you have a defective piece of hardware that you spent upwards of $800 on.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Does it, though? I've seen so many people mention that they never realized their 1 had a backlight bleed until the "test" on iPad 2s was popularized.

My iPad 1 was perfect, I checked after the whole backlight issue was brought to light (pun intended). After reading Anandtech's article about the iPad 2, it was revealed that the iPad 1 used brackets, which makes it thicker but also more pressure uniformity. The glue process is thinner but more prone to pressure non-uniformity and therefore backlight bleeds. This is all theory but a pretty darn good theory. Can anyone else come with a better one?

It is a trade-off. Unless you are in dark environments viewing movies, I think the thinness is a great trade off. I'd rather have a thinner device with mild backlight bleed which I won't notice in everyday use.

I will still be returning my iPad tomorrow and wait for online shipment, which will likely be in June. Better yet, when I visit NH at the end of the month and can pick up an iPad 2 at Target I could get 5% back using their credit card and tax free. Tax free is a huge deal on a luxury item, we're talking $70 on the 64gb wifi model in my state.

xelaetaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Well I've got my iPad 2 and i actually returned the one i got in the mail plus another one at the store and all of them had backlight bleeding. im going to ignore it for now but if it bothers im gonna try to return it again in a week or so.

I stand by my original question and I think Apple definetely f-d up on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.