Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
For anyone who bought the iPad Pro along with the Apple Smart Cover and Apple Silicon Case does the combination make the Pro too heavy? I bought a Modal case at Best Buy and now find the Pro to be intolerably heavy. I may just opt for the Apple Smart Cover to go light.

bendrumin

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
It DOES add bulk, i thought about that last night when I picked mine up. I do it now with just the smart cover on (plus it now fits in my bag better)

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Yes, the smartcover adds too much weight, but you can get it off easily so I just take it off when I don't need it. I do the same with my iPad mini.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
My question is why did they have to make 2 separate pieces? It's ridiculous. So to fully protect my Ipad Pro (front and back) I need to spend close to 150.00???

Reactions: macaximx

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
The combination works good and adds needed protection while providing a solid stand for watching movies or for typing. I wish they would've made a smart case instead though.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
It does make it heavier but the iPad pro is pretty heavy to begin with so I'm okay with it.

dL

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My question is why did they have to make 2 separate pieces? It's ridiculous. So to fully protect my Ipad Pro (front and back) I need to spend close to 150.00???

It's too expensive, - this I grant you. However, being two pieces means it takes literally two seconds to pull off the Smart Cover and attack the Smart Keyboard, all the while leaving the silicone back piece on your iPad. If it were one piece it would be a lot more hassle having to completely remove the case from the iPad Pro. I much prefer the way Apple has gone about this, but the price is high, and the availability is ridiculous right now.

Reactions: highdefjunkie

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I definitely don't like the cover and case setup, especially silicone. I like the leather smart cases much better. And yeah the price is a joke on these.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
The cases are very tactile, nice to the touch.

Darn expensive though, can't stop mentioning it lol.

Loving the new Pro though. Chuffed with it. :)

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest

Apple wants you to spend a ton for this--front cover, back cover, pencil, keyboard, more storage, LTE...the price goes up and up lol

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
My honest opinion to everyone would be to treat this like an iPad first, computer second. Capitalize on apples botched accessory launch and see if you actually need any of those overpriced accessories before you take the plunge.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
My honest opinion to everyone would be to treat this like an iPad first, computer second. Capitalize on apples botched accessory launch and see if you actually need any of those overpriced accessories before you take the plunge.

Just because it is larger, I don't know why people think it can replace their Macbook or other laptop. I wouldn't give up my MacBook Air for any iPad, regardless of size.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
With apple smart keyboard not much a difference. It adds a good feel to ipp and i feel more comfortable hold with it.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
How long before someone comes up with a minimalist accessory that one can stick on the back to provide various tilt angles. I would be interested in something like that.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I usually get these right away, Always have. But i'm trying something new. I'm going natural. This way i get used to it in it's primordial form.

Also I save a few bucks :D

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
For anyone who bought the iPad Pro along with the Apple Smart Cover and Apple Silicon Case does the combination make the Pro too heavy? I bought a Modal case at Best Buy and now find the Pro to be intolerably heavy. I may just opt for the Apple Smart Cover to go light.

Never liked the smart covers. Have always used the Apple case with my iPads. However, as there is no such thing for the iPP that I bought today
I got the silicone back. Haven't had chance to try it yet but don't like the
cutout on the side for the cover. May return it and wait for a 3rd party
solution. Don't need the front of this big beast protected. Not likely to
ever leave the house!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.