Apple Smart Cover - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TWO2SEVEN, Mar 21, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I know there are a lot of threads floating around. I thought it would be helpful to list them out here.

I am considering picking one up to go with my Belkin Snap Case. My main concern is the magnets leaving marks on the side of the iPad.

Thanks everyone!

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

It should take a while to actually mark the iPad, if at all.

Avoid the fake smart covers though, as from experience, they leave black marks.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

I assume this thread is about the Apple Smart cover??

Pros:
    Easy to use
    Leather
    Light and Thin

Cons:
    Expensive
    Leather could be of better quality
    Did I say expensive
    Some leather colors dont look good

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My assessment (I decided not to buy one)

Pro:

- Neat automatic wake/sleep on open/close
    - Converts to a stand w/ out adding much extra weight to the iPad
    - Keeps iPad to it's true thin design.

Con:

- Only covers glass; back and sides left unprotected
    - No drop protection - sides, back liable to get scuffed/scratched vs if in an actual case, not just a cover.
    - Overpriced for what it is. (Different from being "expensive." A BMW 335i is expensive, but it's worth every cent for the driving joy it offers. BUT if that same BMW 335i was, say, 15% more expensive, yes, it would be overpriced IMHO).
    - Not enough business/professional appropriate colors, esp if you don't want leather.

5. jeme macrumors regular

A con I would add it lack of various positions, there are only two typing Ora upright and I think the upright is far to vertical to view anything close, say sitting in an airline seat with the iPad on the tray table.

Thoughts?

6. iNole macrumors member

Mine hasn't left any permanent marks and I've had it for about a year. The hinge does leave some marks but they can be wiped off easily. Bought it at Target so I'm assuming it's an official Apple smart cover.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

smart covers are expensive but we all know Apple prices are up there so that should not be a surprise to anyone.

8. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Wife and I each have knock off "Khomo" smart covers from Amazon. Granted we've only had them for a week, they seem to be holding up good. They stay on pretty securely and I haven't noticed any markings. I might pick up an actual Apple one down the road since I don't want to risk it on eBay covers with various colors, but these work pretty good for now. They also came with a plastic back piece that matches for like $20-$25.

9. gekko21 macrumors member

If you get a smart cover, go for a dark colour. I got the pale blue one last time and it looked pretty manky after a few months. I guess that would go for all cases though tbh.

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just upgraded my iPad 1 to whatever we are calling the new one, so I am having my first exposure to the Smart Cover. I have to admit I am impressed. I would really suggest getting one to try.

It took about 1 day to get used to the fact it was attached by magnets instead of a clip. Too much force and, of course, it comes off or moves. But once I got used to it, I really like it.

I will always have another full coverage case for some situations, but for now the Smart Cover is really a nice design.

11. pdawg macrumors regular

I am currently using the green smart cover with the Belkin snap shield for back protection. It is working fine for me, but my final "stop" is the STM Skinny which is on backorder. Earlier it had a delivery date of next Wednesday, but now that date is gone :confused:

Either way, my current solution works well for me, and I have not seen any scuffs on the side of the iPad. I do carry the iPad carefully :D, so my smart cover has not slipped off yet.

12. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thanks for all of the info so far. I will most likely pick up the dark grey this week.