Apple Smart Keyboard 12.9 & 9.7 on the iPP 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gatorknight904, Mar 31, 2016.

1. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

For those of you who care to see... Here are some photos of the iPP 9.7 on the 9.7 Smart Keyboard and 12.9 Smart Keyboard.

I will say I am tempted to keep the 12.9 Smart Keyboard for home use....

Attached Files:

2. alau0115 macrumors regular

Thanks for the pictures.

Just tried both in the Apple store and with big hands, I find both are okay but prefer the one for 12.9" as typing error is much less. Reason is there is not much learning curve for 12.9" but for 9.7".

Also not sure if it is placebo effect, the keys on 9.8" have more bounces and feedback. Maybe this arrangement is to make the smaller keyboard more usable?

3. gatorknight904 thread starter macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

I agree both are usable but the 12.9" size is ideal. This is why I'm seriously considering keeping it for home use and traveling with the 9.7" one. Then again I may return the 12.9 and wait for the open box prices to drop. The one I have now was $145 open box at Best Buy. Would love for it to be under $100.

As for the keyboard feedback...I do agree the 9.7" keys are stiffer and provide a little more kickback for lack of better words.

4. kallyq macrumors regular

Wait, you can use the 12.9 keyboard with the smaller iPad?

5. gatorknight904 thread starter macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

Yes.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If you're only using the larger keyboard at home, why not get something more substantial with greater functionality at a cheaper price? Apple's own Magic Keyboard for example--is far sturdier, offers great battery life and a row of function keys. Pop the iPP on a small, foldable stand that offers far more viewing angles.

7. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Better than that idea, you don't even need an additional stand. The ASK (the 9.7" one that you say you are keeping) can be folded around back to provide a more upright stand position, and you could use that with the regular Apple magic keyboard.

In regards to this discussion, I went to the Apple Store today and bought the ASK for my 12.9" iPad Pro. While I was there, I did take a look at both the 9.7" iPad Pro and the 9.7" ASK. While the keyboard is smaller, I do think if that was what I was typing on regularly, I would get used to it. Most of the keys are decent size, and only the keys along the left side (Tab, Shift, etc) are significantly smaller.

8. gatorknight904 thread starter macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

While both of you have valid points for increased functionality & $ savings, neither allow me to sit on the couch or in the bed with the iPad on my lap.

9. samadulator macrumors newbie

Actually. Yes, they do. The backing of the Smart Keyboard is stiff enough to use in your lap. If you're using it while laying down in bed the display angle may not be appropriate, but the keyboard is absolutely usable.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use the 9.7 ASK with my iPad in my lap all the time.