Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ok whatever you guys are saying about the Apple Smart Keyboard, can be achieved by any Bluetooth keyboard.
Sorry, but no it can't. It's clear that you prefer a bluetooth keyboard over the ASK. That's fine... no need to justify your preference... you like what you like, but that doesn't change the fact that the ASK offers a few unique capabilities not found with bluetooth keyboards.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I agree about some Bluetooth keyboards not staying connected, but I used to have the Brydge with my 12.9, and now I'm using the Apple Magic Keyboard for a few months with both my 12.9 and my new 10.5, and never once has it not stayed connected, and there is absolutely no lag.

As for charging them, I use my keyboard for a few hours per day as my iPad Pro is my main computer. The Brydge required a charge every couple of months, and used a micro-USB plug (probably my only complaint about the Brydge). I've been using the Apple Magic Keyboard since the beginning of April (when I sold the Brydge), and just last week I charged it for the first time when it reached 20%. And it uses the same lightning cable to charge as my iPad Pro does.

I think it comes down to this: Do you use your keyboard when traveling or only at home? I found that I only use the keyboard when I'm at home at my desk. When I travel with the iPad, or when I use the iPad when sitting on the sofa, I use it in iPad tablet mode and just use the on screen keyboard. So I had no need for the Brydge or for the ASK.

As for the ASK, I did purchase that originally with my 12.9, but after 3 months the white print lettering on some of the keys began coming off. I exchanged it for another one, and 3 months later the same thing happened again, so Apple took it back and gave me a store credit. The typing experience on the ASK was surprisingly good and I had no complaints other than the lettering coming off. However, the Magic Keyboard does give a nicer typing experience, and also has the function keys for volume, brightness and media across the top. It also has the escape key which can be necessary when using Remote Desktop to a windows machine.

It's nice that we have so many options. :)

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Sorry, but no it can't. It's clear that you prefer a bluetooth keyboard over the ASK. That's fine... no need to justify your preference... you like what you like, but that doesn't change the fact that the ASK offers a few unique capabilities not found with bluetooth keyboards.

I don't have any preference as such. I'm just asking what are these "unique" capabilities that you're referring to over any other standard keyboard?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
One of my quirks is that I don't like my keyboard close to the screen. So I prefer a third party keyboard, for the distance I can have from my iPad.

Home

Thank you for your post! Your pictures completely illustrate my opinions on it.

I don't need to type on my iPad very often. I actually use my laptop for that use. When I was going away I needed to buy a keyboard as I would only be taking my iPad with me. I rejected the ASK because it was expensive, could only be used really close to the screen, and only in landscape.

I was bizarrely torn between a Microsoft keyboard and Keys to Go, but went for the Keys to Go because it is thin, lightweight, cheapish, and you can spill things on it, so feel less anxious using it in coffee shops, on aeroplanes etc. I have a little stand I can prop my iPad up in when I want to use it in portrait. I actually use a cover (the stand only works in landscape) but if the smart cover part is folded back, it can fit in my stand without having to remove it.

So, for 'people like us' who like typing things in portrait, a separate Bluetooth keyboard is probably the way to go.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I don't have any preference as such. I'm just asking what are these "unique" capabilities that you're referring to over any other standard keyboard?
We have answered that question at least twice already: no pairing, no charging, no blips in connection.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

There are no unique benefits to the apple Smart Keyboard that you can’t get somewhere else.. even the “no pairing, no charging” argument can be met by the Logitech options (granted, they aren’t Bluetooth). It’s all about your needs and what you prefer.

Comments here have been very constructive and thoughtful in conveying this.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
We have answered that question at least twice already: no pairing, no charging, no blips in connection.

Yes indeed. I've just never faced any issues with pairing & connection. Also battery life on keyboard lasts for months on a single charge. That's why I didn't think these could be such bug issues for people.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
There are no unique benefits to the apple Smart Keyboard that you can’t get somewhere else.. even the “no pairing, no charging” argument can be met by the Logitech options (granted, they aren’t Bluetooth). It’s all about your needs and what you prefer.

Comments here have been very constructive and thoughtful in conveying this.

Completely agree, the comments have been very good in this thread. Made me realise it's more of a "want" thing rather than a need.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Yes indeed. I've just never faced any issues with pairing & connection. Also battery life on keyboard lasts for months on a single charge. That's why I didn't think these could be such bug issues for people.
I consider that a liability. You never think to charge it because it doesn't often need to be charged. Then when it goes dead while you're out, you're stuck.

I'm glad you've never faced any issues with pairing or connection on Bluetooth devices. You seem to be an anomaly. I personally think Bluetooth is a horrible standard that needs to go away ASAP. AirPods are the exception, but Apple had to add in the W1 to make them so reliable. I gave up on Bluetooth keyboards years ago.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I recommend them to everybody looking for a keyboard to use with their iPad.
The major negative I see with that keyboard is that its yet another separate accessory, I need to carry. Unlike other solutions like the ASK that attaches to the iPad, I need to carry this. Speaking of which, it makes using it in mobile situations a little more cumbersome - at least that's what I'm thinking (having not used it )

I will note that the Brydge keyboard continues to be a compelling option
I was really impressed with the look and design, but you bring up a good point and given how it attaches to the iPad, will it fit on it, if I have a case on the iPad?

it was a little more cumbersome to switch between touching and typing.
Good to know, I was trying to discern how much more thicker it is.

Ok whatever you guys are saying about the Apple Smart Keyboard, can be achieved by any Bluetooth keyboard. Also
I think people already stated the advantages of the ASK, and for me those are important.
No batteries, it gets it power from the iPad
Attaches to the iPad
Can be used on the lap, many BT keyboards are completely separate and its cumbersome to have a keyboard and iPad on your lap at the same time.

Overall, the ASK provides a great integrated experience, BT keyboards offer a different set of advantages, I like the idea of thin, integrated solution that I don't have to worry about batteries.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The major negative I see with that keyboard is that its yet another separate accessory, I need to carry. Unlike other solutions like the ASK that attaches to the iPad, I need to carry this. Speaking of which, it makes using it in mobile situations a little more cumbersome - at least that's what I'm thinking (having not used it )

Understand that point completely. Not really an issue for me - I use it only for university, and I always have a bag with me. It's so thin and small that it slips into my bag and I forget about it. But if you didn't necessarily carry a bag, I could see it being an annoyance and not as convenient as a keyboard cover or the ASK.
[doublepost=1501509515][/doublepost]
One of my quirks is that I don't like my keyboard close to the screen. So I prefer a third party keyboard, for the distance I can have from my iPad.

Home

Away

I'm also a big fan of that type of logitech keyboard. :p

Hah! I'm kinda jealous of that set up...it's lean! Do you use it as your main machine?
[doublepost=1501509577][/doublepost]
integrated solution that I don't have to worry about batteries.

Whilst charging a battery is another thing to think about, I will just add that I haven't charged my Keys-To-Go since December and it still shows green. I'm almost certain I'll make it a year with no charging. But I get the point you're making.

Reactions: maflynn

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

I was really impressed with the look and design, but you bring up a good point and given how it attaches to the iPad, will it fit on it, if I have a case on the iPad?

Good to know, I was trying to discern how much more thicker it is.

I think people already stated the advantages of the ASK, and for me those are important.
No batteries, it gets it power from the iPad
Attaches to the iPad
Can be used on the lap, many BT keyboards are completely separate and its cumbersome to have a keyboard and iPad on your lap at the same time.

Overall, the ASK provides a great integrated experience, BT keyboards offer a different set of advantages, I like the idea of thin, integrated solution that I don't have to worry about batteries.

The Brydge + IPP 12.9 is really close to the size and weight of a 13" 2015 MBP

Sitting on the couch with it on my lap, I found I was reaching further to scroll on the screen.. that was a little bit of a nuisance. Brilliant keyboard though.

IMG_6909.JPG
IMG_6908.JPG

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Thank you for your post! Your pictures completely illustrate my opinions on it.

I don't need to type on my iPad very often. I actually use my laptop for that use. When I was going away I needed to buy a keyboard as I would only be taking my iPad with me. I rejected the ASK because it was expensive, could only be used really close to the screen, and only in landscape.

I was bizarrely torn between a Microsoft keyboard and Keys to Go, but went for the Keys to Go because it is thin, lightweight, cheapish, and you can spill things on it, so feel less anxious using it in coffee shops, on aeroplanes etc. I have a little stand I can prop my iPad up in when I want to use it in portrait. I actually use a cover (the stand only works in landscape) but if the smart cover part is folded back, it can fit in my stand without having to remove it.

So, for 'people like us' who like typing things in portrait, a separate Bluetooth keyboard is probably the way to go.
Exactly!

My quirk lies in the fact that I write scripts for myself, and I like to see if a page of text matches a page of content. So I have a personal preference of seeing my screens in portrait mode, so I see whole pages. I know it's weird, it's a 'me' thing.

35900293020_b077129d59.jpg

One of the luxuries of an iPad over a laptop is that I can make the screen portrait, maintaining my preference. I wouldn't be able to do such a thing if I had a keyboard dependent on being attached to the iPad. Yes, I have to carry a keyboard, with an iPad Pro with smart cover. Yet literally in the little drawstring bag I carry it, it's just that and headphones & sometimes a stand. It's pretty lightweight & small. The iPad, pencil, keyboard, and maybe a cord or two all fit in a cheap case from Amazon thrown in my bag. Which often goes on sale for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-13-1...&qid=1501533913&sr=8-17&keywords=ipad+pro+bag

71Mg466cpkL._SL1300_.jpg

Also Logitech products last seemingly forever with batteries.

Hah! I'm kinda jealous of that set up...it's lean! Do you use it as your main machine?

Not yet. The reason I said I am 'part timing' it, is because I am using it like a separate main. I recently got back into drawing, but didn't ever go digital. With all the great apps available on the iPad Pro ( Procreate, Tayasui Sketches, Concepts, Affinity Photo, Medibang Paint, Manga Name, and Comic Draw ) there's no better time to get your feet wet learning digital art at a relatively inexpensive entry price tag. On top of that it's got writing apps for your scripts. Comic Draw will also do your lettering for you if your script is in the Dark Horse script format. I can listen to music & search the web for reference making it a complete portable all in one for me. I got it into my head to try and draw a small comic book/ashcan, with all the apps available I wanted to try and do it exclusively on the iPad Pro, which is what I am trying now as an experiment.

The limitations are basically the unfamiliarity on my part with the IOS, and the awkwardness of doing things, as opposed to a regular Mac. Hoping that many of these inconveniences will be resolved with the new IOS, because the apps are already catching up to more expensive desktop programs. The iPad Pro with apple pencil makes a nice entry inexpensive alternative to Cintiqs.

Reactions: sracer and wib

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Exactly!

My quirk lies in the fact that I write scripts for myself, and I like to see if a page of text matches a page of content. So I have a personal preference of seeing my screens in portrait mode, so I see whole pages. I know it's weird, it's a 'me' thing.

That is so not weird! Seeing a whole page at a time on screen is (I feel) the best way to read. Before I got my first mini I tried to read pdfs on my computer and it drove me crazy because I wanted to see the whole page, not half, and got very frustrated by it. I always wished I could pull the screen off and turn it around properly. Once I was able to read on an iPad and turn the screen the right way around, I could read really quickly again and concentrate on the content, rather than the awkwardness of it.

I had been using my iPhone and iPad almost exclusively in portrait until I started working more seriously on drawing when I was advised landscape orientated pictures might look better for my use case. So, drawing only in landscape for me.

I also managed to find a very nice little Targus carry bag for my iPad which was heavily reduced and it means I take my iPad out with me more than I ever did any other incarnation, although the 10.5 is the largest one I've had so far.

I think for everyone the key is finding the right accessories for your use case and your taste, then you really can enjoy your tech to the full.

Good luck with your comic and getting into digital art!

Reactions: JayMysterio

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

Home

Away

I'm also a big fan of that type of logitech keyboard. :p

First - that keyboard is awesome. I bought one after seeing your post, and am really happy with it.

Second - what stand are you using in the top picture?

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
First - that keyboard is awesome. I bought one after seeing your post, and am really happy with it.

Second - what stand are you using in the top picture?
Glad you like the keyboard.

That's the Beare acrylic tablet & ereader stand.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/tablet-ereader-stand/d?productId=10033951&q=tablet stand

TabletStand_CMYK_x.jpg

I was dragged to a place called the Container Store for one of their sales, and was allowed to get one thing provided it wasn't more expensive than their's. :p I settled on this, and have actually used it quite a bit since. It does pretty well doubled as portrait stand, and as a sloped stand for drawing like an art table. Pretty chunky with a ring on the top & small strips on the bottom to keep the tablet from sliding as well as the stand itself.

I've since willingly gone back to the Container Store with them, to get more random stuff. Like the display case for the Disney Infinity figures & a cheapo case for my Beats X headphones. It's like an Ikea store for people who don't live near one, but in upscale malls to justify expensive prices. :p

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I dont like the angle of the smart keyboard. For watching movies and tv shows it should be in a 90 degrees angle yet for typing and surfing the web it is too far up. Also leaving the keyboard exposed like that in the other angle is silly

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Logitech's Keys-To-Go is a bloody amazing Bluetooth keyboard. I recommend them to everybody looking for a keyboard to use with their iPad. Literally can't say anything bad about it. Lasts absolutely ages on a single charge, not charged mine since December and still showing a full charge on the indicator. No perceived input lag, no connection delay. Thin, light, wipe-clean. Don't know what more you could ask for.

I use my ipad more as a tablet than a "laptop replacement" so the benefits that come with the logitech bluetooth keyboard(media keys, portrait and landscape + multiple viewing angles for the ipad) outweigh thecons of a separate accessory and device that needs to be charged every once in a while.

I have both right now and am testing to see what I like better.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Here's a couple more picture comparisons

View attachment 710960 View attachment 710961

I had that same setup - changed to the ASK. Found the Brydge to be a horrible typing experience. Would disconnect after like 5 minutes of non-use, double letters everywhere, other keys you'd have to slam on them really hard, or hit them perfectly dead center to register.

Loved how it looked though, everything about it was great... except the typing experience. This occurred on multiple units as my first Brydge was truly an awful typing experience. Second one was better, but still nowhere near acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.