Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I just stopped by my local BB and noticed they were still not selling the Nexus 7. I asked a sales clerk why they had no stock and he told me Apple threatened to pull their Apple products if they sold it. That is definitely a sign Apple is worried about the competition for the Apple Mini.

Luckily I purchased the Nexus 7 two weeks ago. Since then I rarely have turned on my new iPad. In fact, the only times I used the iPad was to power it up and note the Apps I had installed and then downloaded the Android versions on my Nexus 7.

The iPad was my first Apple purchase (been a Windows user for > 20 years). If the BB clerk's story is true, that will be the last Apple product I purchase.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
ORLY? Apple threatens to pull their products from one of their biggest resellers and we only hear it from some dude in a blue t-shirt. Sounds plausible.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Not sure why. I think best buy Canada sells nexus 7. So its not a best buy policy.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
ORLY? Apple threatens to pull their products from one of their biggest resellers and we only hear it from some dude in a blue t-shirt. Sounds plausible.

Agreed. Why in the world should we take the word of a lowly sales drone at BB.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I just checked the Best Buy Web Site and they are definitely not selling the Nexus 7.
Seems like the clerk was telling the truth.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I just checked the Best Buy Web Site and they are definitely not selling the Nexus 7.

Maybe they just don't sell it? They where calling bull on his Apple story, not the fact that they didn't sell it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

There could be lots of reasons why Best Buy is not selling the Nexus 7. Could the sales drone be telling the truth? It is possible. But I wouldn't be so quick to accept his story as the gospel truth.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I believe the OP and the blue shirt dude from BB. Remember, Apple has a deep-deep seated hatred for Google. BB makes a lot more in sales from Apple goods than from Google.

It's similar to Target dumping Amazon and just rolling with Apple gear. Sony used to do this when they were the videogame market leader. They longer do it as they are not in the same position they used to be in.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

They never have.

From pcmag.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407732,00.asp

Best Buy: You can't order a Nexus 7 online from Best Buy, at least as we're writing this, but various reports indicate it's in stock at certain retail outlets across the country. That's frustrating, since if it was listed online you could do a stock check from the Web browser.

My guess is someone is lying.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I absolutely have no idea why Apple has slid into a cave of fear and insecurity.

If this is untrue, their actions certainly don't reflect it. They are reacting, instead of acting like the innovators and creators they can be.

They are lashing out with public displays consisting of threats, followed with law suits. If indeed they feel the only way left is to sue everyone, why make such a public spectacle out of it?

Some will argue it's because "It's Apple" yet others may follow big business closely, and understand exactly what I'm talking about. Most companies go to great lengths to keep their legal activities out of the spotlight.

Apple on the other hand, seems to crave the attention that big battles draw. They've turned this into a huge dog and pony show.

This morning I read where Apple is now asking to have the SGS III added to the banned devices.

This is the action of a company bent on being a monopoly, ruling with an iron fist and raising the prices on products across the board.

Never, ever did I think the company I once held in such high esteem, would be involved in the kinds of practices they are today.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I absolutely have no idea why Apple has slid into a cave of fear and insecurity.

If this is untrue, their actions certainly don't reflect it. They are reacting, instead of acting like the innovators and creators they can be.

They are lashing out with public displays consisting of threats, followed with law suits. If indeed they feel the only way left is to sue everyone, why make such a public spectacle out of it?

Some will argue it's because "It's Apple" yet others may follow big business closely, and understand exactly what I'm talking about. Most companies go to great lengths to keep their legal activities out of the spotlight.

Apple on the other hand, seems to crave the attention that big battles draw. They've turned this into a huge dog and pony show.

This morning I read where Apple is now asking to have the SGS III added to the banned devices.

This is the action of a company bent on being a monopoly, ruling with an iron fist and raising the prices on products across the board.

Never, ever did I think the company I once held in such high esteem, would be involved in the kinds of practices they are today.
This was my fear when Steve was no longer around that Apple would morph into a company that relies on past products and will release products that will be hit and miss.

Steve was brilliant guiding the creative ship and thinking up cool products. Those days are gone and Apple is relying on it's market power instead of thinking something totally new and fresh. Which is what Steve would have done.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Lol, Apple sucks at competing so they have to litigate and turn into a monster.:rolleyes:

And we have another Microsoft on our hands.Damn.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Thats never gonna happen.
It would be very Illegal and the DOJ would put a spanking at Apple that they would soon not forget.

This is just some stupid conspiracy theory made up by the usual Apple haters to show how evil of a company Apple is in their warped minds.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Lol, Apple sucks at competing so they have to litigate and turn into a monster.:rolleyes:

And we have another Microsoft on our hands.Damn.

And how ironic that MS paid for Apple licensing so they would not be sued. :p

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Yes, it's truly discouraging. I've been a loyal Apple customer (but not a fanboy) for a very long time. I've bought loads of laptops, and other gear from them. They were once a great company that appreciated customers, responded to feedback and copied others as well. It's a part of doing business.

But today they've become out of control with their posturing, launching law suites, and just acting like a bully. It's out of character and it simply doesn't need to be this way.

Apple is acting as though they are scraping by.

They're certainly not acting as the successful uber rich company they are.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, it's truly discouraging. I've been a loyal Apple customer (but not a fanboy) for a very long time. I've bought loads of laptops, and other gear from them. They were once a great company that appreciated customers, responded to feedback and copied others as well. It's a part of doing business.

But today they've become out of control with their posturing, launching law suites, and just acting like a bully. It's out of character and it simply doesn't need to be this way.

Apple is acting as though they are scraping by.

They're certainly not acting as the successful uber rich company they are.

That's what I don't get. They are performing BETTER than their competitors so there's no need to do all of this. I can understand if their sales were tanking.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That's what I don't get. They are performing BETTER than their competitors so there's no need to do all of this. I can understand if their sales were tanking.

As I've said before Apple will feels the vacuum of not having Steve Jobs. Apple has been operating in defense mode ever since. When you can count on the guy who drove your companies creative juices Apple needs to get rolling with new products that competitors haven't jumped on. That was how Steve did things. Now it's all about the rehash of the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac Mini, MBP, iMac etc.

When I see Apple do something that's really cool and do it on a consistent basis I think they will be fine. But I get the bad feeling that the Apple Top Brass really misses what he brought to the company and are doing whatever they can to keep the competition away.

MacMane

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
I'm researching this and the most believable reason for BB to not carry the nexus 7 is because of the margins. If they sold the nexus 7 (probably the best android tablet), it would outsell the other tablets while not making BB any money. BB wants the other android tablets to sell, as well as the iPad, that's where their profit lies. Best and cheapest way to buy a nexus 7 is through google.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
This must be why Apple is in dead last place in tablet market and is teetering on bankruptcy.:D

They suck at competing not in the sense that they aren't making money, but in the fact that instead of using innovation as a competing tool, they simply sue and attempt to ban the competition. As a result they can bring products to the market that could be better. And people will buy it.

I love Apple, but you can't deny that all these lawsuits and banning of phones just shows how insecure they are with the competition. Why get they just bring out a kick ass product that would blow Google out of the water? I would love to see Apple do that and I use Android for my phone and tablet.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
So many people are just itching to believe every negative thing that gets reported about Apple, regardless of the source's credibility.

Makes sense.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As I've said before Apple will feels the vacuum of not having Steve Jobs. Apple has been operating in defense mode ever since. <snip>
But I get the bad feeling that the Apple Top Brass really misses what he brought to the company and are doing whatever they can to keep the competition away.
Respectfully I believe you're wrong. It was Steve Jobs himself that publicly said he'd go thermonuclear & spend all of Apples money taking out Google & anyone who copied them. Long before Steve died they worked getting prepared to launch the legal assault. You don't launch a big law suit like the one their involved in with Samsung, in just a few days.

Then there's the legal actions in the UK. & others, so Steve is the one who started this mess.

As far as missing him, yes they do, yet Apple is deep with talent. Steve took far more credit when others did the creating.

They are now simply carrying out what Jobs planned. Cook's ego is not like Jobs. Tim is confident, mature, experienced & very smart. Unlike Jobs he is not ego driven. He's just trying to get through this.

At one point I though he might rein things in, but all of Apple is nothing if not greedy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.