Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Hi all,

Here's a question I've been wondering about.

Now Apple is distributing its own flagship software, e.g. Aperture, iWork, etc, through the App Store - will people who buy them get free updates INCLUDING major versions?

As far as I can see they're just in the App Store under their product name, e.g. "Pages", and not the specific major version.

Does this mean when the next major versions are released, the updates will be free and just come as normal App Store updates? Or is there a special mechanism to make the user pay for an update (do any developers know?).

Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Rik.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
I doubt this very much. When a new version comes out it will be released under the same name as before, i.e. Pages, and you will not be able to buy the old version any more.

But you will continue to recieve security updates and so on for the old version.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The App Store does distinguish between different versions, as can be seen by the fact that my Mac recognises that I have iWork installed, but not iLife (I haven't got iLife 11).

I suspect that the reason why it just has the iWork Apps without a version number is because they would rather not advertise the fact that it is the 09 version. When it is updated it will be Pages 11 etc, and we will have to pay for the upgrade (unless they decide to give the upgrade to App Store purchasers to compensate for an upgrade coming so soon).

I don't see any reason why the usual practice of minor updates being free but version updates being charged for will change. If nothing else, it would disincentivise development.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now Apple is distributing its own flagship software, e.g. Aperture, iWork, etc, through the App Store - will people who buy them get free updates INCLUDING major versions?
Good point and one that is being witnessed currently. I'm an owner of Rapidweaver, version 4 to be specific. Realamacsoftware upgraded to version 5 and put it out on the app store. There's no avenue to upgrade my RW through the app store short of buying the full version.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I think the point the OP is trying to make is that typically when you buy an app from the app store, your license for that specific app entry is retained no matter how many version updates are released. Unless something has changed, Apple would have to add a new app entry to the store with a different name (ie. Pages 11, Pages 12, ...) year after year to make the distinction between licenses. Since the current app entry is simply called "Pages" and not "Pages 09", it seems to suggest that they won't do this. If they release the new version of pages (ie 2011 version) under the exact same entry ("Pages") then everyone who owns that app, regardless of version, should see an "upgrade" notification in their app store and be able to download it for free.

This logic is based on how the iOS app store currently works. You cannot release a new version of the same app (same entry in the app store) and charge for the upgrade. The store automatically offers all upgrades for free to anyone who has already purchased it. Of course, there's no reason why Apple couldn't have tweaked the functionality of the MAS to differ from the iAS, but that has yet to be seen. That, I believe, is what the OP is asking. Maybe some MAS developers have seen something pertaining to this in the documentation and could clue us in? I would like to know this as well...

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
That's exactly what I was asking.

I assume developers will just make "App 2", "App 3" for major versions they want to charge extra for - as is seen on the iOS Store. But mainly just interested in Apple's approach, as Pages/Aperture/etc are all versionless in the title, despite not being "version 1" products.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Actually if you notice in iTunes, when you grab an iOS app update, it says FREE. I assume as updates within a version are rolled out through the Mac App Store you will get the same sort of functionality. Typically the last revision of a current version comes prior to the release of a major version update, usually known as an upgrade. The App Store could easily show an installed/upgrade button for those with version 4.x of a software already installed, as long as it was installed through the App Store, with pricing relevant to an upgrade. Likewise, users without the app would see a buy button at a full price for version 5.x.

While this functionality isn't probably currently built in, it could be within short order through an OS X update.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Actually if you notice in iTunes, when you grab an iOS app update, it says FREE. I assume as updates within a version are rolled out through the Mac App Store you will get the same sort of functionality. Typically the last revision of a current version comes prior to the release of a major version update, usually known as an upgrade. The App Store could easily show an installed/upgrade button for those with version 4.x of a software already installed, as long as it was installed through the App Store, with pricing relevant to an upgrade. Likewise, users without the app would see a buy button at a full price for version 5.x.

While this functionality isn't probably currently built in, it could be within short order through an OS X update.

That's what I was thinking, but if they did build that feature into the MAS, I would think the registered developers would know about it from the documentation. Unless of course, Apple reserved that functionality for themselves. ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
That's what I was thinking, but if they did build that feature into the MAS, I would think the registered developers would know about it from the documentation. Unless of course, Apple reserved that functionality for themselves. ;)

It may be a 10.6.x update that hasn't been rolled out yet, or not even arrive until Lion officially launches. The MAS just launched. Feedback, changes. They like to start out small and build functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.