Apple Software Theft Ring?

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
God damn but yellow's avatar is erotic.

(Just thought I would add to the complete lack of sense in this thread.)

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
notjustjay said:
USB key maybe? Copying installed software of demo Macs?

???
The magnetic key is the unlocking device for all the plastic clamshells that we keep software in.

Ever walk into a computer store and see software in the clear plasic security devices? Apparently a theft ring has a bunch of the magnetic release keys and is making the rounds stealing Apple software.

Thus, we've removed it from shelves.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
We had a similar problem at RadioShack, someone stole a magnetic key and we lost a lot of Bluetooth headsets and Sirius radios, etc. I can understand completely.

jW

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
People would just smash the glass cabinets where I worked.

I once found someone trying to melt a plastic sat nav case with a LIGHTER.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
neoelectronaut said:
Apparently a theft ring has a bunch of the magnetic release keys and is making the rounds stealing Apple software.
Interesting that they're not also stealing PC software.

This may sound like a stupid question, but are all magnetic security devices opened with the same key? I mean, how do you change the combination? Change the polarity? How do these things work?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
yellow said:
Not that Mr. W is planning on starting his own ring of software theft or anything. It's purely curiosity..
Ssshhh. You'll spoil my master plan! :mad:

Besides, I'll cut you in on the deal if you'll help me out. :D

But my question was serious - it just seems like a tremendous security hole, but I don't know how it works. I can think of ways to improve it though, depending on how it works now.