Apple Software Update- Corrupted download

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ouimetnick, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I know its probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer.:( I downloaded 10.6.4, and its only partially downloaded, but it thinks its completely downloaded. So it won't install. I'm stuck with 10.6.2. Now I know I can go to Apple's site and download the combo update, but where are the files that software update downloads located? I want to delete the corrupted file, and have software update download it again, and install it. So in short, where are the files that software update downloads located? I want to delete them and try again.

Thanks!
    -Nick

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

There is a way: while downloading go to /private/var/

If you want to save some updates:
    1 - run "softwareupdate --list" and you will end up with something like -

Software Update Tool
    Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Software Update found the following new or updated software:
    * GBExtraContent-1.0
    GarageBand Instruments and Apple Loops (1.0), 1170290K [recommended]

2 - extract the filename from the above details and run "softwareupdate --download GBExtraContent-1.0". I am downloading the additional garageband loops and I wish to store it locally as every time i re-build my laptop I have to download this again..just saves me a bit of time.

3 - Open activity monitor

4 - Double click on the Process Name "softwareupdate"

5 - Click on "Open Files and ports"

6 - Look for the filename that start with "/private/var/". This will be the name and location of the file you are downloading.

7 - open the location in the finder by selecting the "go to folder option" in your finder SHIFT-COMMAND-G and copy the file when its finished downloading.

Good luck!:)

3. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I just want to know where the files the Software Update downloads are located. Then i will delete then, and redownload them.

4. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

By default the software downloaded from Apple’s servers necessary for the Software Update service is located at /private/var/db/swupd.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I don't know where that path is. :confused: Can you make it easier? Like Macintosh HD> username > and so on? I don't even know where it is. Is it a hidden file? I a newbie at the OSX system part of Macs. I just want to delete the corrupted Mac OSX 10.6.4 Combo update from my laptop and have software updater re-download it. Do you know the full path?