Apple Software Update downloads by it self!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Twe Foju, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

today i was checking on the Software Update, and i found out that my MBP has them all downloaded! and just ready for install

the problem is, i dont want the update to take up much of my HD space, because i dont really want to update it, so how do i delete the downloaded pkg?

to my knowledge, it is not installed yet, so i supposed i still can delete the update pkg that has been already downloaded on my MBP?

thanks

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If it's already downloaded, why not install it? Apple uses Software Update to deliver fixes for its products, some of which are security related. This isn't Windows—it's okay to apply updates. I've been a Mac user for 4 years and haven't once had an update do anything bad to my Macs.

3. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Because they're often updates for software I have no interest in using or don't even have... Keynote (don't have), Pages (don't have), iPhoto (don't use), iDVD (don't use)... etc.

I'd also be interested to know where the .pkg is downloaded to so I can delete the ones I don't want.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not sure where they download but you could check

/Library/Updates

To stop it happening in future

System Preferences - Software Update - Download Important Updates Automatically

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Alas /Library/Packages I knew ye' well.

6. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

That seems a little strange, as Software Update checks your system before recommending updates... So you must have Keynote and Pages installed on your computer if Software Update is offering an update for them.

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

He's got the trials, he just doesn't know it.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can go to Software Update and change the Preferences on auto download. If you absolutely don't use something, you can delete the apps (such as MS office trial).

9. Twe Foju thread starter macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

ok found the package on Library/Updates

so in each of the folder

there are 3 files

for example, inside the Library/Updates/iWeb Updates/

there is 1 file, the kind is Alias, then there is a folder named Packages. and inside is the Installer Package kind, and Installer Distribution kind

do i delete all the 3?

or just the Installer Package kind?

because i fear one of them is the file connected to the software update link

or we can just delete all the 3 kind?

thanks

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Since it's downloaded, just install it. You can then delete the apps you are not going to use if you really want.