Apple & Sony?

ormerlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2001
Did anybody see this, or is it old news?...

"APPLE IS IN especially good shape, now that Steve Jobs has announced--well, merger isn't the word--the deal linking Apple and Sony, essentially at the hip. The companies remain separate, but are cross-licensing all "relevant" technology--whatever that means--and sharing the spoils. It's interesting to see the most interesting companies in consumer electronics working together."

It came in one of those Anchordesk e-mails from ZDNet.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Sony could be a salvation!

Sony is one of the most innovative companies around, and the idea that Apple is in somewhat of a deal with them is exciting!

Maybe Sony is behind the Big Deal that's going down in San Francisco next week? What could they be working on?

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Hmmmmm ;)

Maybe it could be a game system of sorts. Ken Kutaragi did say he wants to market off the PS2 processors to other companies to allow them to develop there own hardware. Maybe apple is making a game system. Just wild speculation. OR The Emotion Engine Processors and the Graphics Synthesizer could be a new type of Mac? ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
A possible combo system?

Sony has the Vaio, which in tower form is ready for audio at professional levels. Maybe they are combining Apple's OS with Sony's hardware to create a new hybrid system?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: A possible combo system?

Where are all these wild rumours coming from about mergers?? I really cant see this happening! Apple has in the past created a game/portable cd player before haven't they?? About 8 years ago I think

ormerlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2001
I don't think we will see any type of game system from Apple, but rather teamwork on items such as digital cameras, and digital video cameras.

Didn't Sony buy the Virtual Game Station software? Maybe the new iMac will play Playstation 2 games? Just a thought!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
TRULY SICK DUDE!!!!!!!

EEK!
128-bit wide with Altivec, onboard "personality" architecture, imbedded quantum encryption, G5 style chip design and a heat sync about a foot square. The cooling fans'd sound like a 737!

Sleepy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
Sonys vaio towers are not ready for audio at a professional level. Where did you pull that from?
I guess your idea of pro might be skewed... who knows?

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Apple's game system?

Are you referring to something Bandai had in concept a few years back? with the boomerang controller? I can't remember if Apple had anything to do with that or not. I vaguely remember a game system effort by Apple. What was it called? Maybe Apple could be pushing for something like that?

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
good ideas.

I looked that up quick thanks! I appreciate the info! I think that Apple had a LOT of good ideas for a game system back then and they were way ahead of their time. I think they have the experience and resources (if they so chose to use them) to implement such a device now. That is just my opinion. It would be cool to see though! Especially since the PowerPC architecture has SO much to offer. Again thanks much!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Ack!

Okay, so if we have Sony, Apple and Coca-Cola Co. merge they could market under the blanket term Snapple! The new Snapple Bannana-Macintosh!!!