Apple sport may not have the display laminated to the glass as the stainless does.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anitasanger, Mar 12, 2015.

1. anitasanger macrumors newbie

Apple made a distinction suggesting that the Apple Watch Sport may not have it's display laminated to the ion glass as the Apple Watch's display is laminated to it's sapphire crystal. Perhaps this could result in poorer light transmission and possible dust particles trapped in-between the display and the glass.

http://imgur.com/xTG0Dpq

2. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

And it could go on to say: On other models the display is laminated to a cheeper piece of Gorilla Glass.;)

4. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

5. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

All this is saying is that "most Apple Watch models have a sapphire display cover." The Sport model will have a laminated display, but not with a sapphire cover.

6. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Yea, this.

7. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yeah that's what we hope. But the distinction of saying that the display is LAMINATED to a single piece of sapphire, while the Sport is merely protected by ion glass is suspect. If they both were laminated, I think they would say so to avoid any question. I didn't come up with this by the way, I've read about it in several different forums. People worried to death there will be dust in-between glass and display like some past iPads.

8. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Well water resistant is also dust resistant. But why would they have two different screens and two different manufacturing processes? I'd say the paragraph would start to sound wordy to be as explicit as you want it to be.

9. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, dust resistant post assembly. In a laminated design, dust penetration is impossible period. Don't get me wrong, I hope the laminated process is synonymous across the board.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and 6+ all have laminated glass displays? If so, why wouldn't they use it for the watch?

I really think it's an oversight that they happened to phrase that sentence ambiguously.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I understand the sentence perfectly, just like JFazYankees. Apple want to boast about its sapphire screen. That's all.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

So now that the watch is out, whats the verdict?

13. SR71 macrumors 68000

It's definitely laminated.