Apple SSD or 3rd party SSD in new Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keeper, Jul 29, 2012.

1. keeper macrumors regular

Hi

I'm planning to upgrade my core duo mac book pro.
    All my media files are held on a NAS so size of drive is not a major requirement.
    It will be used as mainly an Internet machine as my mac mini performs media duties.

I'm thinking of a bees 13" mac book pro, with an SSD drive.

Would you just pay the extra and go with an Apple SSD or save some money and buy a 3rd party drive?

I'm currently thinking a 128Gb should be enough for a base build and apps.

Cheers Phil

2. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

I would go 3rd party (Crucial M4 or Intel 520), but that's just me.

3. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I recommend the Samsung 830, they are the most reliable.

There is no reason to get an apple SSD since you can enable Trim manually on a 3rd party SSD

4. BigMoo macrumors member

Usually, value/performance would sway towards a third party SSD. The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 are highly regarded, especially on these boards. However, if you don't want to install the SSD yourself then it would be better to buy an apple one and have them install it.

I would suggest 3rd party though because the vale/performance is a huge factor for me. There are also plenty of tutorials on how to install an SSD yourself, which is a fairly simple process.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I would definitely go for a custom SSD install for these reasons:

1) Significantly cheaper prices (except the 128GB version, which Apple offers reasonably competitively)
    2) Long warranties beyond Apple's one year
    3) Known reliability/performance
    4) You get the stock HDD to keep as extra

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

IMO there is no right or wrong or even clear answer to this and it is very much a judgement call on your part. Do you want to pay a little more for the Apple SSD and have the comfort that it is all covered by the original warranty, or do you want to save some money and have an aftermarket SSD that is not covered by Apple's warranty and may (or may not) have stability issues. That is really the decision.