Apple SSD or Other?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I am still debating whether to get the Apple 128GB SSD for $225 (with Edu discount) for my 13" MBP or get one of the new, faster ones.

After reading so many problems such as beach balling, failures to go to sleep, etc, I worry about getting the other SSD's.

Are there SSD's that are just as reliable as the BTO ones, and that have virtually no hiccups? Ideally, I would love a few links to SSD's that are faster and cheaper than Apple's, yet run without any problems.

Lastly, how hard is it to remove the harddrive and replace it with a 128GB SSD? I have looked at the OWC videos and it seems easy. I am confused,however, as to what happens following the hardware swap. Do MBP's come with the OS installation CD's and I pop one in to format the SSD, or how does it work?

Trying to make my integration into the Mac and SSD world as seamless as possible!

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple SSD for low price on 15" MBP
    OCZ or OWC Sata 3 SSD for reliability + speed/performance.

3. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there anything that matches Apple's SSD or even surpasses it but has the same price?

From what I read Sata 3 SSD's are not reliable yet.