Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I'm not sure if this is unique to Lion or having an SSD, but I was exploring in Disk Utility and found a section called "Power on Hours" and couldn't figure out what number base it was. Any ideas? It would be interesting to find out how many hours the SSD has been running.

Edit: My sister's MacBook Pro has a regular hard drive and Snow Leopard and this doesn't exist in her Disk Utility. So I guess it's unique to Lion.

ltOCc.png

Last edited:

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
You're right, it's just a hexadecimal number with some extra leading zeros. If I convert it, I get 2006 in base 10. I guess that means the SSD has been running for 2006 hours?

Last edited:

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
"Power On Hours" is apparently a standard counter that most new SSDs have that basically counts the total number of hours the SSD has been running during its entire lifetime, according to Google.

So your SSD has been powered on for a total of 2006 hours since it was first rolled out of the assembly line.

I think the electronic data cells in SSDs tend to degrade in performance over time, so maybe this serves the same purpose as an odometer does in cars for miles. Maybe it even performs some sort of self-maintenance every "X" number of power-on hours? I heard some SSDs shift data to different parts of the disk to evenly distribute the wear-and-tear (analogous again to cars: every X amount of miles you rotate your tires since some get worn faster than others.)

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
"Power On Hours" is apparently a standard counter that most new SSDs have that basically counts the total number of hours the SSD has been running during its entire lifetime, according to Google.

So your SSD has been powered on for a total of 2006 hours since it was first rolled out of the assembly line.

I think the electronic data cells in SSDs tend to degrade in performance over time, so maybe this serves the same purpose as an odometer does in cars for miles. Maybe it even performs some sort of self-maintenance every "X" number of power-on hours? I heard some SSDs shift data to different parts of the disk to evenly distribute the wear-and-tear (analogous again to cars: every X amount of miles you rotate your tires since some get worn faster than others.)
Apparently is for non-SSD drives as well. I never noticed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.