Apple SSD "Power on hours"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kenbrinkman, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kenbrinkman, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I'm not sure if this is unique to Lion or having an SSD, but I was exploring in Disk Utility and found a section called "Power on Hours" and couldn't figure out what number base it was. Any ideas? It would be interesting to find out how many hours the SSD has been running.

Edit: My sister's MacBook Pro has a regular hard drive and Snow Leopard and this doesn't exist in her Disk Utility. So I guess it's unique to Lion.

[​IMG]

2. mrapplegate, Jun 17, 2011

mrapplegate macrumors 68030

My Hard drive has the same, but I did not know it was monitored. Not sure how to convert, Hexadecimal maybe?

3. kenbrinkman, Jun 17, 2011

kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

You're right, it's just a hexadecimal number with some extra leading zeros. If I convert it, I get 2006 in base 10. I guess that means the SSD has been running for 2006 hours?

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Is that right for your system? 2006 hours? I would guess so unless anyone else knows :)

5. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I guess so, I don't really know. I've had this MBA since they came out in October.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

That is 2 months 23 days, so if you think it has been on that long since Oct, we can call this solved :D

7. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

"Power On Hours" is apparently a standard counter that most new SSDs have that basically counts the total number of hours the SSD has been running during its entire lifetime, according to Google.

So your SSD has been powered on for a total of 2006 hours since it was first rolled out of the assembly line.

I think the electronic data cells in SSDs tend to degrade in performance over time, so maybe this serves the same purpose as an odometer does in cars for miles. Maybe it even performs some sort of self-maintenance every "X" number of power-on hours? I heard some SSDs shift data to different parts of the disk to evenly distribute the wear-and-tear (analogous again to cars: every X amount of miles you rotate your tires since some get worn faster than others.)

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Apparently is for non-SSD drives as well. I never noticed it.

9. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Hmm Im on the latest version of Lion and I have a non Apple SSD and don't see this?

[​IMG]

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Oh my bad, I did not mean non-Apple SSD, I meant normal old fashioned hard drive :D

Attached Files: