Apple SSD = Samsung?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2ms, Jul 6, 2010.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I know the SSDs that came with the MBAs were Samsung. Can anyone tell me what the SSDs in the MBPs these days are? Samsung used to have less than awesome performance. Is this still the case? Are the 128GB SSDs available as option on MBPs at all comparable in speed to, for example, an Intel?

2. tatical macrumors member

I have a Samsung PM800 256GB SSD & its very fast. I was going to get an Intel X-25 160GB, but the Samsung had good reviews & its 256GB. I didn't run any benchmarks, but my Mid '09 MBP boots in 15-16 seconds (from button press to desktop with all icons & dock). As for speed degradation, I haven't noticed it as of yet (I've been transcoding many 4GB+ files).

3. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Hi, I received my MBA last week and they still put in Toshiba SSD instead of the widely confirmed information that Apple make a switch to Samsung.

It's either old stock (which very likely for part replacement) or the Samsung supply was temporary.

Interested to know for those who configure their MBP with stock SSD recently to check whether Apple still using Toshiba or Samsung.