Apple SSD so slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrod, Jan 13, 2010.

1. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Hi

Don't know why but is SSD has turned slow, I remember when I bought this MBP it booted in just 20-30 seconds, now it takes about 50 secs!

I've just saw a youtube video of a 2,53 MBP booting in just 22 secs, and it also loads a webpage! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JLmd0S0eE&NR=1

I did the 5 second reset trick with the power button, I reinstalled Snow Leopard, I try a clean install of Snow Leopard with no additional apps, and allways the same, almost 1 minute to boot.

It takes about 16seconds to show the Grey apple, and then all the other +- 40 seconds till I get to the login screen.

Ah, and the startup hard disk is right in Preferences

:(

2. Winters macrumors member

There are several method I have heard to reset the performance of your ssd, one of them is to do a secure erase of the drive to reset its performance. Not just a regular format.

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

That's false, the secure erase writes zeros all over the SSD meaning you fill it up totally, so you could actually make it worse.

4. Winters macrumors member

Did you actually try before writing that?
    I own a few ssd from intel and when I start seeing slow down a simple secure erase works like a charm. The first time I had this slow down before knowing this method it was getting so bad that it could freeze for like 10 sec during simple writes.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Don't need to try it, it's a fact that it writes zeros to the drive, it's a fact that writing zeros to the drive don't help with speed issues. Your issue with freezing have nothing to do with SSD drives filling up, sounds more like a software issue which ofc gets resolved with the reinstall you do when zeroing out.

6. Winters macrumors member

Wrong. I had already tried regular formating reinstall etc.. the slow down would still be there after fresh reinstall.
    After all that did not work I did a simple secure erase and problem solved.
    Same for the other ssd drives that I got after this.

7. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

secure erase cant fix degraded sectors, if anything when you reinstalled everything on it it just wrote it to non-degraded sectors. secure erase by definition of its function further degrades SSDs

8. Winters macrumors member

the slowdown isn't only caused by degraded sector, and it wasn't the cause of the slowdowns in my case since I manage to get full speed back after it.
    Here is an article from anantech explaining it. In his exemple he is using ocz drive but it works for intel as well.
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=11

9. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Maybe there is some confusion because two things are being called secure erase. Secure erase in Mac OS X zeros out the drive, while secure erase with this HDDErase tool frees up pages in the drives firmware. So maybe we're talking about two different things at the same time here. And if not... hopefully my post will help someone else coming into the thread :D

10. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Ahh, so that is what you mean with "secure erase", because secure erase rather indicates you were talking about the built in secure erase (zero out) feature in Apples disk utility. This writes zeros to every data block o the drive.

You are talking about using a disk wiper or HDDeraser tool which the manufacturer releases for the drive. These tools empties the data blocks completely. I dunno if the manufacturer for the Apple drives released such a tool though.