Apple SSD Temperatures

Discussion in 'iMac' started by milesc3, Sep 14, 2014.

1. milesc3 macrumors member

I have been doing a bit of research on the PCIE SSD drives. It seems that the M.2 SSD PCIE SSD drives for Windows are having major issues with temperatures. They are seeing idle temps in the mid 40C range and temps can go as high as 113C in sustained writing of files in just in less than 4 minutes.

The are also having trouble with booting. TRIM also will not run on Windows 7 you have to have Windows 8.1. Fortunately the boot and TRIM issues haven't reared their head with OS10. Curious though if temps are an issue.

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I've had my late 2013 iMac with a 512GB PCIe SSD for almost a year now and haven't noticed any abnormal temperatures.

I've done no conclusive tests, however, I do monitor my temps with iStats Menu.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apple does not use M.2 PCIe drives. They use a proprietary non-M.2 PCIe blade SSDs. And I've no issues with temperatures in all my Macs that have a PCIe SSD.

Besides, the PCIe SSDs in Macs have custom Apple firmware loaded on them, so you can be guaranteed that everything will work fine without any issues.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

This is interesting. Can you please provide a lot more details?