Apple SSD to 3rd party SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrGoober35, Nov 26, 2011.

1. MrGoober35 macrumors newbie

I have a 13 mbp 2011 with a 128 ssd. I know people where having problems with trim control with 3rd party ssd when they where going from a hd to ssd but what about going from apple ssd to 3rd party ssd.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No third party SSD will have native TRIM on OS X. Here is a hack that enables TRIM for non-OEM drives. Just understand it is a hack.

Personally, I believe newer SSDs have built in garbage collection that works well enough without the TRIM hack.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So much so, that if you do enable TRIM you actually degrade performance.

If the apple supplied SSD is being offered at a decent price go for it, so you don't need to hack the system, otherwise pick a SSD drive that has garbage collection and don't worry about TRIM.

4. MrGoober35 thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife went out and got me a mbp with a 128 ssd. i know i will run out of storage in about 6 months so i know i will have to do something about it. I dont know if i want to upgrade the mbp or add a network storage drive.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is filling up the drive? If it is music or photos and video, you might consider storing all or some of those things on an external drive.

6. MrGoober35 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You could see if drive prices start to come back down. 1-2TB is quite affordable in an external HDD. You just can't get that with SSDs.

8. happle macrumors 6502a

does apple only use SATA II SSD's? id rather purchase an SSD from apple but id like the speeds of SATA III. not sure if id still be better off just buying one from apple.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Apple uses a Toshiba SATA II SSD iirc. They may also use a Samsung one as well.

As Hellhammer mentioned, you will not notice much real world difference between SATA II and SATA III and the Apple one is covered by warranty.

10. happle macrumors 6502a

and it probably has added firmware for better performance and reliability. i think ill go with the apple SSD.

11. MrGoober35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i get an apple 256 ssd and swap it out in my mbp?

12. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Unless I were buying the MBP new and configured for it... I wouldn't pay Apple's extortion fees for anything they sell.

As you can read throughout MR... 3rd party SSD's are much cheaper and typically faster. And the warranties are on par with Apple.

13. MrGoober35 thread starter macrumors newbie

All i am worried about is the longevity of the drive with out trim control. I have read where peoples 3rd party ssd have slowed down to a crawl or even failed. Am I concerning myself with nothing. If it is nothing i will pop in a 256 and not worry about it.

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I got a Toshiba 128 GB from apple, I read that they also use Samsungs, at least in the Air.

The above highlighted statement is very important. In benchmarks, the SATA III drives destroy the SATA II drives. However there is a big difference between benchmarks and day to day use. SATA II SSDs are fast enough to remove the bottleneck that HDDs are in modern computers. The extra speed of SATA III is much less notable in day to day use. Going from 5 seconds to 0.5 seconds in application start time is awesome. The benefit of going from 0.5 to 0.3 is much less notable. SATA II SSDs have been around for longer, so I would assume that they are more reliable. But I don't have numbers to back this up.

Finally, the warranty. Third party SSDs do come with their own warranty, but you have to take out the SSD, send it back to the vendor, wait for them to fix/replace and send it back, and put it back in. With an apple SSD you just bring it to the store and pick it up when it's fixed, and you can rely on the (usually) very good apple customer service.

One benefit of having a third party ssd of course is that, while you wait for the replacement, you can put back the original hdd and continue using your laptop.

15. happle macrumors 6502a

iv decided to go with the 128gb ssd straight from apple. its only $90 more than the regular hard drive so its worth it to me. i feel more comfortable using something apple puts in themselves because of the firmware they use and just the reliability. plus then when i get my optibay and HDD i wont have to worry about cloning my OS and apps onto the SSD.