Apple SSD + Trim Problems. Educate Me Please.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sammyman, May 4, 2015.

1. sammyman, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

sammyman macrumors 6502a

I installed an Apple SSD last week. I used carbon copy to clone the current startup disk to the new SSD.

Everything was working great! Then I noticed a strange permission error and couldn't create a folder in Lightroom after a few days, so I made a mistake and set everything to read + write on the SSD including subfolders.

After that I got a strange popup error about a .kext file. I thought no big deal, but then I got maybe 7 more errors about .kext files.

When I rebooted the programs in the menu bar started disappearing. I rebooted again and everything was black, but I could see my mouse.

Googling a bit I found out that these .kext files may be related to trim. Luckily, I have backups of everything so I was back up and running in no time.

My next step will be to setup the Apple SSD as a clean install of Yosemite, but I want to make sure I am doing this right. Do need to create a small partition for a recovery disk, or is this done automatically?

Do I have to do something special to make sure I am using Trim correctly? My current startup disk is an older 256gb SSD which has no problems right now, so maybe this isn't the problem.

Any idea how I could have screwed everything up so badly?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A clean install of Yosemite will make a recovery partition on its own. You don't need to do anything special.

If you have an Apple OEM SSD, TRIM will be enabled by default without you doing anything.

I don't know what might have caused the original folder creation issue though.