apple ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

So I couldn't help notice apple ships MBPs with 128GB SSDs for no more then an additional $100, so I was wondering what performance would be like on these SSDs, especially now that the new MBPs ship with TRIM enabled.

I'm looking for numbers, not "they suck don't buy them!"
    other recommendations along with pricing and specs are welcome.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

Everyone seems really anxious to go through the firmware bugs with the next generation of SSDs. But yeah, if you look at it that way then the Apple SSD is a solid choice IMO.

That's what I'll be doing.

3. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

I'm all ears.

4. jk6959 macrumors newbie

Opened mine today but appears pretty nippy with 128gb. Believe cold boot is around 10 seconds and filling up some space with games but apps seem to load quick.

My favourite benefit personally is the silence. My previous little laptop was ULV and weak GPU (G105m) but you could always hear the HDD spinning / fans, with this it is silent in comparison.

If I do upgrade to 200gb+ down the line I assume I'll get more use out of a spare 128gb SSD than a plain 500gb HDD, could even drop it in a little netbook to make it speed.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

The benchmark performance of this cutting edge generation is awesome. But I don't think it will translate into real-world gains over other SSDs for many people.

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

7. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

which wont be out for another 6 months, and I'm buying in 16 days.

8. pb248 macrumors newbie

I've just got an i5 with the 128Mb SSD. I'd agree with the 10 second boot, though it feels longer. Shutdown is super fast, I don't have time to shut the lid before it stops after clicking shutdown.

Sadly it doesn't particularly feel super fast, everything else now feels super slow! I never realised how much the world wide wait still exists - that fraction of a second for pages to load, for apps to start etc. It seems it now takes half the time to check all the sites I look at on the web because of the instant loading.

Only issue I have is 60fps 720p video through Quicktime Player which is jerky. VLC is fine. I'm guessing this means quicktime player having access to hardware acceleration is actually a disadvantage on these machines

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

What kind of numbers are you looking for? I should have one with a 512GB Apple SSD tomorrow.

10. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I don't think you should have trouble because of hardware acceleration. Especially since the hardware is more than capable.

11. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

My 2.2GHz w/ the Apple 256gb ssd will be here Friday, I will post stats this weekend.

12. g-boac macrumors 6502

Mulo - Good evening. From another thread, this website:
    STORAGE SHOOTOUT: HDDs and SSDs in 2011 MacBook Pro
    http://www.barefeats.com/mbps02.html

Has a superb and comprehensive breakdown of performance of every major metric for ever possible storage option for the 2011 MBPs, ranging from Apple OEM HDDs and SSDs, to popular aftermarket SSDs (OWC, C300, etc), plus a great summary of technical insight (e.g., 6Gb/s SATA interface, etc).

cheers,
    Mark

13. sandylp, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I have the 512 SSD TS512C from Apple and it seems fast enough for me. The cold boot time is 16 seconds with 8GB of RAM. Programs seem to open instantly. While there are faster drives advertised for the same size (512GB), they cost much more. I have seen comparison charts on the internet. There is one for the TS512 and another one for the TS512C, which is rated higher. I can't find it now, but I have it on my computer at work, so I'll add it to the thread later.

Here is the link to the SSD comparison: http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd_lookup.php?cpu=APPLE+SSD+TS256C.

14. satirev macrumors 6502

ummmm, its gonna be out in the next three weeks?

15. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

sounds good :)

an xbench disk test should show me all that i would like to know :)

not according to what i could find, show me - whats speed gonna be like on the drive, and price?

16. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

17. mehanika Guest

I choosed not to buy the SSD to my new mac, its simply not good enough compared to price. Im going to buy a Kingston SSD (Dont have details at my current location) - Specwise above, pricetag below.

18. Arthur Young macrumors newbie

Ok guys I'm new to this tech stuff but after reading a lot tell me if this is possible.

Here's my plan, Get a 250GB SSD for now as main HD then when the kinks are worked out on the next-gen SATA3 SSD's I'll get one of those as well to max out my SATA3 bandwidth and then take out the superdrive and move the current SSD to use the SATA2 connection then set it up in raid 0 mode and that way I theoretically have maxed out or close to max out all my SATA bandwidth which comes to around 9 Gbps (SATA3@6Gbps + SATA2@3Gbps) and that way I can really take advantage of light peak as well.

Can sata3 raid 0 with sata 2 and with differnt ssd brand and speed ?

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I thought Lion had TRIM support, not Snow Leopard. So 10.6.6 has TRIM support... at least in the latest MBP?

20. Tapiwa macrumors member

Correct. Only in the latest MBPs with Apple SSDs.

21. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I like the Barefeats recommendations:

Of the hard disk drives (HDDs), the Toshiba 750G 5400rpm gives the most storage with respectable speed compared to the 7200rpm options -- though 750G 7200rpm drives are available from third parties. My advice for those with speed and size requirements is to buy the MacBook Pro with the 750G HDD. Remove it and replace it with an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD. Then install the 750G HDD in an external bus powered FireWire 800 enclosure.

This is EXACTLY what I did.

For external storage, I plan to get the LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt mini RAID enclosure with dual SSDs.

I also plan to do this when the new iMacs are released, assuming, of course, they include a Thunderbolt port. Two external SSDs in RAID 0 through Thunderbolt should be significantly faster (and perhaps even cheaper) than a single internal SSD on SATA-III.

22. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Yes, at least that is what is shown in the Profile Manager on my new 15" MPB with 10.6.6.:)

Sorry, it's answered above.