Apple SSDs - do they really suck?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laser71, Feb 24, 2011.

1. laser71 macrumors regular

Obviously they are not the best on the market, compared to OCZ, etc. However, you likely notice the difference in normal use? (i.e. web browsing, photoshop, email, imovie)? Is the lack of TRIM support really as bad as people make it sound?

The $90 upgrade for 15" is tempting, but I was originally going to get a OCZ Vertex 2 for my boot - and leave the default 500GB 7200rpm for storage.

Thoughts?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

While basically any SSD will be much faster then an HDD, for the price you pay, yes they do suck.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The SSDs that Apple use are actually Toshiba Solid State Drives. They do not a Sandforce controller like the OCZ Vertex 2 or the OWC Mercury Pro extreme, but they are not bad drives at all. I have a 512GB Toshiba SSD in my MacBook Pro (installed myself, same drive that Apple uses), and it definitely makes a HUGE difference throughout the system. I have an OWC Mercury Pro extreme in my Mac Pro tower. I must say that I think the OWC is a tad faster, but I did not want to risk going with a new OWC drive for the MacBook Pro due to the firmware issues and problems they are having with them.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

They do suck for the money. For $250 they give you a budget SDD and $0 credit on the HDD you don't get. Better to get a stock unit, pull the HDD, and buy your own Intel X25 or something that is known to be a top unit. Be sure to keep the HDD though -- you'll need it in case you need warranty service and also when you sell your machine you can stick it back in and advertise a "new" HD.