Apple stance on Proximity Sensor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moobs, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Moobs macrumors newbie

Has anyone taken the phone back since 4.1 came out?

I tried before and the Genius guy told me to wait until after 4.1 came out. Well, I killed my JB so I could have a functioning proximity sensor and updated to 4.1. However, I'm still having issues with it.

I'd like to know what someone else's experience has been with the Genius Bar. Are they exchanging them out now? I just don't want to waste my time by making an appt and driving to the store. Thanks!

2. Razeus macrumors 601

The stance is to ignore it, bring no attention to it and it will go away.

3. Moobs thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh, but that doesn't help me! :D

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've read of people here who have gotten their phone exchanged because of it and had better luck with their 2nd phone.

Unlike the reception issue, this one does seem to vary from phone to phone.

5. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I just swapped my phone this morning because of the proximity sensor problem. I had swapped my phone on Saturday, the 25th because it had the yellow spots on the screen and it wasn't going away like for some. So I went back this morning and told them about the new problem. The Genius guy told me that 4.1 fixed most problems, but there was still a very small minority having problems. The Genius check out my phone for water damage and then brought me a new one. In and out in 10 minutes.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The official stand is: "you are holding it wrong"

It need a "user" mod :rolleyes:

7. Moobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will try to swap mine out soon

8. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I took mine in and said I was having prox issues (after 4.1). The genius told me "it seems to be working fine, and it's just the way it is, sorry." So no swap for me and I still have the issue.:mad:

9. The General macrumors 601

The flaw is in the design. Your replacement will have the exact same problem. Don't bother. Deal with it, you still have the best phone in the world.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Just had another call today go into speakerphone mode. I'm going in for a swap. Scheduled an appointment right away. Cross those fingers.

11. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

No it's not. Some phones have the problem even after the update to 4.1. The Genius guy even told me today some people are still having the problem and they're working on it, but until a new fix is out, all they can do is swap the phone. My first iPhone 4 didn't have the problem on any firmware. When I exchanged it on Saturday because it had yellow spots, the replacement couldn't hold a call for more than 2 minutes without hanging up. I replaced that one today, and this one is fine, like my first one, but without the yellow spots.

12. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

If you did the upgrade and still having problems try doing a hard reset. This seems to have worked for some.

13. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

what is it exactly?

i make phone calls normally and do not get any issue.

14. countzero2k10 macrumors member

countzero2k10

Exactly. I have a launch day iPhone 4 and I don't have any proximity issues. still haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet either. Follow most other people's advice and swap out the phone if you are still having issues after 4.1.

Keep us updated!

15. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

What happens is that during a call, the screen is supposed to go dark and not accept any touch inputs. For people with the issue, the screen momentarily blinks on and off, and activates the touch screen, and accepts inputs. If your face is touching the screen, it can activate a variety of actions, including muting, facetime, end call and everything else you can activate.

16. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Well, the one I got today seems fine. I've had four 10+ minute phone calls and no problems. Even this morning before the swap, my previous one hung up on me twice within 3 minutes. So I said enough is enough, this one's going back.

17. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

thanks.

thank god i dont have those issues.

18. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I keep seeing this problem reported and I can not replicate it. If I am talking on the phone like you are suppose to my face does not touch the screen at all. When I try to make my face touch the screen then the top part of the phone where the proximity sensor is located is no longer against my ear therefore causing the screen to come on.

19. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

It's apparent, it doesn't happen on every phone. Out of the 3 I've had, one did it. The other two were fine.

20. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Because dropped business calls are perfectly acceptable :rolleyes:

21. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Please let us know how it goes

22. Ever34 macrumors regular

I waited till 4.1 came out before attempting an exchange. Though it was much better after the update, the issue still existed. Genius exchanged for a new phone right away no questions asked. I now have a week 35 phone with no issues.

23. The General macrumors 601

Who what? :confused:

24. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

In and out after 15 minutes. New iPhone 4 in hand. All they saw were previous notes when I first had issues back with 4.0 and that Genius rep recommended to wait for the software update before replacing. This Genius rep didn't perform any tests - just pulled a fresh one out of a black box and sent me on my merry way.

Replacement came with ol' 4.0.2 firmware, 01.59.00 baseband, model MC318LL, don't ask me about week manufacturing or whatnot, don't know how to get that.

Saved the SHSH blob (just in case), then upgraded to 4.1. Gonna give it some tests tonight and tomorrow to see if the proximity sensor is still an issue with this one.

25. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Wow that's awesome, hope this one works flawless for you.

Will you be planning to jailbreak your 4.0.2?