Apple Standard (M0116) versus Apple Extended

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Thomas Harte, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I'm not able to find a definitive source on this — is it true that the Apple Standard Keyboard M0116, as offered as an alternative to the Apple Extended Keyboard circa 1990, uses the same keyswitches, providing exactly the same tactile feedback?

I'm a Model M fan myself, but can't justify the noise in my open plan office. I have an M0116 which I very much like and will use if I can obtain an ADB to USB adapter that works on modern Macs (so, I guess, makes the keyboard look like a USB device rather than adding an ADB port to the computer) but have never tried an Extended Keyboard and am wondering if it's worth seeking one out.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The M0116 should have the same tactile feedback as the original Apple Extended Keyboard (released in '87 with the SE and II), although be careful here, as the Extended Keyboard II was released in 1990, and those keys are a little softer (and quieter).

And I'm with you - I consider the late 80s Apple keyboards to have the best feel, although they are a little loud by today's standards.