Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman, and star players Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers and Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs, sat down with Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller on Thursday to discuss how technology is improving the game of hockey for players, coaches, and fans.

nhl-apple-800x450.jpg
From left to right: Schiller, Bettman, Matthews, McDavid

The discussion took place at the Town Hall auditorium at Apple's Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, California, less than 10 miles from the SAP Center arena in San Jose, where the 2019 NHL All-Star Game was played this weekend.

One way the NHL has incorporated technology is by making iPad Pros available behind the bench, providing real-time video footage that helps players make shift-by-shift adjustments during games, and gives coaches a better idea of when to challenge a referee's offside or goaltender interference call.

"We love the collaboration that we have with Apple," said Bettman. "It has helped transform the game without changing the game itself."

"The game has never been as fast as it is," said McDavid. "You get out there, and these guys are flying around. We have two refs that are looking to call penalties, we have two linesmen, and it's not enough. You can't bring more refs. So what are you going to do? You've got to turn to technology."

"I usually use it to prove to Hitch that it wasn't my fault," quipped McDavid, referring to Oilers coach Ken Hitchcock. The comment drew laughs from the audience of about 300 or so Apple employees, according to NHL.com.

Matthews said he and the Leafs coaching staff use the iPads to study the face-off tendencies of opposing players.

Earlier this month, the NHL announced that teams will soon have access to a new Coaching Insights App for iPad developed by the NHL, Apple, and SAP. The app will provide 35 player stats and 30 team stats in real time, such as time on ice, face-off percentages, shot attempts, and chances for and against.

nhlipadapp-800x617.jpg

"Our collaboration with Apple and things like the Coaching Insight, which we do with SAP and their cloud platforms, are all designed to make it better for the players, make it better for the coaches and most importantly make it better for the fans," said Bettman. "So we're grateful for all we do together."

The app is expected to be available at some point after the All-Star Game break.

In related news, the NHL brought the Stanley Cup to Apple Park on Wednesday, providing Apple employees with an opportunity to take a photo with the iconic trophy at the company's new headquarters.

stanley-cup-apple-park.jpg

Hat tip to Gary Ng at the blog iPhone in Canada.

Article Link: Apple Hosts NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, All-Stars Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews, and Stanley Cup

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I think using Technology in sports is great. When I played BBall back in the 90's I would have loved to have had all that is available now. I think current Tech can certainly improve on human error in refereeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

Iwatchman

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015

National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman and star players Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers and Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs sat down with Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller on Thursday to discuss how technology is improving the game of hockey for players, coaches, and fans.

nhl-apple-800x450.jpg

From left to right: Schiller, Bettman, Matthews, McDavid

The discussion took place at the Town Hall auditorium at Apple's Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, California, less than 10 miles from the SAP Center arena in San Jose, where the 2019 NHL All-Star Game was played this weekend.

One way the NHL has incorporated technology is by making iPad Pros available behind the bench, providing real-time video footage that helps players make shift-by-shift adjustments during games, and gives coaches a better idea of when to challenge a referee's offside or goaltender interference call.

"We love the collaboration that we have with Apple," said Bettman. "It has helped transform the game without changing the game itself."

"The game has never been as fast as it is," said McDavid. "You get out there, and these guys are flying around. We have two refs that are looking to call penalties, we have two linesmen, and it's not enough. You can't bring more refs. So what are you going to do? You've got to turn to technology."

"I usually use it to prove to Hitch that it wasn't my fault," quipped McDavid, referring to Oilers coach Ken Hitchcock. The comment drew laughs from the audience of about 300 or so Apple employees, according to NHL.com.

Matthews said he and the Leafs coaching staff use the iPads to study the face-off tendencies of opposing players.

Earlier this month, the NHL announced that teams will soon have access to a new Coaching Insights App for iPad developed by the NHL, Apple, and SAP. The app will provide 35 player stats and 30 team stats in real time, such as time on ice, face-off percentages, shot attempts, and chances for and against.

nhlipadapp-800x617.jpg

"Our collaboration with Apple and things like the Coaching Insight, which we do with SAP and their cloud platforms, are all designed to make it better for the players, make it better for the coaches and most importantly make it better for the fans," said Bettman. "So we're grateful for all we do together."

The app is expected to be available at some point after the All-Star Game break.

In related news, the NHL brought the Stanley Cup to Apple Park on Wednesday, providing Apple employees with an opportunity to take a photo with the iconic trophy at the company's new headquarters.

stanley-cup-apple-park.jpg

Hat tip to Gary Ng at the blog iPhone in Canada.

Article Link: Apple Hosts Stanley Cup, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, All-Stars Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews
[doublepost=1548572198][/doublepost]Anyone notice the iPad and laptop on the table behind the Stanley Cup? Don’t think they look like anything that’s been released yet....just saying, someone needs to screen these pics before they’re posted

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
[doublepost=1548572198][/doublepost]Anyone notice the iPad and laptop on the table behind the Stanley Cup? Don’t think they look like anything that’s been released yet....just saying, someone needs to screen these pics before they’re posted

That looks like the 12.9” iPad Pro that was recently released(?)

Reactions: Glockworkorange

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That looks like the 12.9” iPad Pro that was recently released(?)

Yeah and a non Apple Laptop, heck, it could be anything, don't get what people see in this, does he really think that guy has an unreleased iPad and MB℗ on his desk in front of him.....

What's wrong with that photo above..:confused:, lines...

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 10.02.30.png

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 10.02.38.png

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Now that Apple are the hosts of the Stanley Cup a few changes will be made.

Below are the following changes

- only one goal. Having goals at both ends is excessive.
- the puck will now be thinner and weigh less.
- all players, no matter what team will be required to wear the same uniform. Preferably a solid colour.
- if a spectator wishes to cancel their ticket but did not purchase Applecare during the purchase of said ticket, there will be a $300 cancellation fee.

allapple

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Maine
OMG! Get back to work Apple! Mind your own business, get back to the spaceship and make Itunes work again!!! While you're at it, put some frigging ports on the Mac Mini!!!!!

Reactions: Huck

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The NFL seem to have locked up a contract using MS Surface tablets.
So, I think this is a great collaboration with the NHL. Hockey is more an international sport, so I can see this app being useful for coaches worldwide.
I wonder if the technology can be easily modified to suit sports such as soccer. Working with FIFA would be huge.

BTW, you can see how big a deal hockey is in the US. No one seems remotely interested in the Cup in that photo.

TDKUK

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
What is the guy behind the cup wearing on his right wrist? Looks a little like wrist mounted display of some sort?

Reactions: Sikh

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
The NFL seem to have locked up a contract using MS Surface tablets.
So, I think this is a great collaboration with the NHL. Hockey is more an international sport, so I can see this app being useful for coaches worldwide.
I wonder if the technology can be easily modified to suit sports such as soccer. Working with FIFA would be huge.

BTW, you can see how big a deal hockey is in the US. No one seems remotely interested in the Cup in that photo.

I think Apple did miss the boat on iPads and the NFL, at one time a lot of teams were using them, it just wasn't anything official between a team and Apple or the NFL and Apple. Microsoft saw an opportunity and took it.

The NHL is doing ok right now in the US. The southern teams are finally getting and keeping fans, the California teams are mostly doing ok to great ranking wise, and have been doing well ratings wise, and Vegas lit that town on fire last year, and isn't doing bad this one either. And Seattle will be on board in the fall of 2020. It is beginning to look like there WONT be a strike/lockout for the next bargaining agreement, though that's only starting to be negotiated now. The lockouts have killed any tv growth for decades, broadcasters want reliability. Not sure I want commercials every 2 to 3 minutes like football has though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.