iPad Apple started to "phase out" Ipad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by postpc, May 23, 2015.

1. postpc macrumors regular

postpc

"An error has occurred". Looks like they're doing it again, deliberately sabotaging Safari rendering older, yet perfectly ok devices obsolete. Not that I'm suprised after all they did it with my Iphone 3, Iphone 4S and Ipad 1. Gotta keep those Ipad sales up, way to go Apple!

2. oldmacs macrumors 68040

iOS 8 is just really unoptimised.

The fact though that they're apparently working on making iOS 9 very efficient as to run on A5 devices so I don't think they're deliberately sabotaging older devices.

3. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

I get that message all the time on my 6+. So you might be making a false assumption.

Never had it happen on my iPhone 5 BTW.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I action ally get that more often on my iPhone 6 than my iPad 3.

5. TechFann macrumors member

I have received the same message on my iPad 4 and also my iPhone 6 when trying to load certain websites. I also tried to load the same webpage that crashed on my iPad on a store model of the iPad Air 2. The webpage crashed on that as well. I think it's just the fact that Safari is buggy with iOS 8. Here's to iOS 9 hopefully being better.

6. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

One time that happened on my iPhone 6. I guess Apple just wants me to buy another iPhone 6, even though the one I have is still under warranty. :rolleyes:

7. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

I have no issues with my 4S. I did in my 3rd year with my 3G. Early in that year, a bunch of my pass wouldn't run anymore, when iOS 4.3 came out it was the las available OS upgrade for the 3G. It allowed all those dead apps to run again but at the cost of a drastically slower phone. I couldn't wait to upgrade to the 4S when it came out at the end of my 3-year contract. My 4S contract expired last fall, but I haven't bothered to upgrade yet: all is working fine. I'll now wait until the next phone comes out.

I think Apple is working very hard to keep forced obsolescence to a minimum. OS X updates used to really only be available for macs for about 5 years after they were built, but my old 2008 iMac is running Yosemite with no problems. In fact, since the latest Yosemite upgrade, my old computer seems to be running better than it has in a couple of years.

I think the problem with the early iPads and iPhones is that they were such a new technology, that subsequent models had a lot more room for improvement. New models today are evolutionary, not revolutionary. Whereas the first few models took huge leaps over each other with each new iteration. It would be like asking a mid-80's Mac to run OSX.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Calm down.....take a deep breath....Your prized toy is fine...Look at those proud old iPad owners. :apple:

9. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I seriously doubt there is a vast conspiracy by Apple to get you to buy new hardware. It would be fairly easy to ascertain and the media would be all over it.

10. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I've read iOS 8 just isn't very optimized for older devices but iOS 9 is said to be optimized for older devices and with breath new life into them.

11. bniu macrumors 6502a

The A6 chip isn't that different from the A5, just faster. The A5 was a massive jump over the A4, bringing dual core and a huge upgrade on the graphics end. I see the A5 and A6 being phased out simultaneously when Apple drops 32 bit support from their iOS devices.

I predict over the next few iOS releases, 32 bit devices will be dropped, non Touch ID devices will then be dropped, and then finally, any device with less than 2GB memory will be dropped. With iOS 8, Apple already dropped support for all single core devices.

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No they didn't. Apple TV is a single core A5 that is different from the others and its still running a modified version of iOS 8. I can see where you are coming from though. I'm curious to see how much longer the A6 lives on when compared to the A5. The performance increase wasn't huge, in fact for all numeral iPhone upgrades the speed difference is almost nothing. The "S" series always gets a way bigger speed increase.