Apple starting to fall behind?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indecisi0n, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Indecisi0n, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

I was never one to replace Apple IOS software for aftermarket programs simply because the Apple programs were always better than aftermarket but that's changing. I read an article the other day on it and when I looked at my phone I realized I have since replaced the IOS email programs for a more useful app(for me use) . I also discovered a WAY better calendar program and use that instead of the IOS calendar. So now the question begs, Are the aftermarket apps becoming better or is it lack of creativity on Apples part?

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I thought we were done with these....

Apple moves at their own pace. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to the individual. I personally don't care much for it but they obviously have their reasoning. I just wish they'd let us set default apps for what you described. I don't use safari or their default mail or maps app.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

What is not working for you is working for others. iOS' built in apps are more than adequate for a consumer with average needs. Depending on features you're used to or need, you have the choice to use lots of competing apps, so I don't see what's the problem anyway.

4. Indecisi0n thread starter macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Well that's the thing, I consider myself an average user. I started to find myself going out of my way (using work-arounds) for basic functions that IOS apps lacked. Don't get me wrong I love Apple but it just feels like they are slipping.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

IOS is now being run by hardware designers. Amazing it works at all. I agree on the apps. Not so good anymore for the average user.

6. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Apple's built-in apps are good enough for most people. For everyone else, there's third party apps.

Ideologically speaking, I don't think Apple is vehemently opposed to allowing users the ability to change their default apps. But here's what would happen if they allowed it.

Every single App Store app that remotely replicates the functionality of a built-in app would hound the user to make that their default app for a certain task. Users who don't know any better will likely accept the prompt, and then their default app changes. If the app turns out to be buggy, insufficient, breaks due to API changes in a system update, or is otherwise lackluster, the user is stuck with a poor experience. Repeat this process over several apps such as browsers, messaging apps, camera apps, phone apps, etc, and it's easy to see how users could have a very troublesome experience with their iPhone or iPad. "But it's the apps causing problems, not the iPhone or iPad itself!", you say. And those of us browsing MacRumors understand that. But many users will unknowingly blame Apple for their issues, which negatively impacts customer satisfaction.

Maybe Apple could prohibit developers from prompting users to change their default apps and require the users to manually make the change through the Settings app. Either way, this is a can of worms that Apple obviously doesn't want to open right now.

7. megapopular macrumors 6502a

What kind of work arounds for basic functions were you using?

8. Altis macrumors 68000

When many are looking for alternatives to the Music app, especially on iPods... something has gone off track, if you ask me.

The stock apps always maintain as default, even if you don't use them.

It's more that Apple has made very good stock apps worse, than anything else. Safari needs to reload tabs so frequently, music app is brutal, etc...

Unless you are just saying that "average needs" equates to just rolling with whatever Apple came up with. Many people are unaware of the details, or what could be better, or what was previously better... In the same way that many people listen to 64 kb/s MP3s and don't even seem to notice.

9. Indecisi0n thread starter macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

One simple feature I wanted with the calendar was when I had an event that day I would like a little notification number of how many events are scheduled for that day to display on the calendar (just like the messaging app does). I don't have tons of events so I rarely go into the calendar app to see what the day has planned for me. But there are times where I set an event a week or so ahead and forgot that it was in there until it alerted me 15 mins before. Now that have the fantastical 2 calendar app in the morning when I first turn on my phone my calendar has a little number on it letter me know I have an event for that day. Such a simple yet useful feature. This is one small example but there are many others.

Now could I have changed the alert, yes. Or even sent an email reminder , yes but why do I have to go through these extra steps?

10. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

If everything Apple makes is perfect, then who's gonna make third-party apps again?

11. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Starting to fall behind??? iOS 7 was apples attempt to catch up which still falls short. And the iPad Air and retina iPads are just that; iPads. Nothing new from Apple; just reiterations of the same Steve Job ideas.
    I've had my 5S since launch and I'm not satisfied especially after the Nexus 5 release. I haven't bought one app because I don't feel that I will stay with Apple's ecosystem long enough. I have already ordered a 32gig Nexus 5 and I'm trying to find some reason to stick with the platform before I have the ability to cancel.

12. sumsingwong, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

Apple starting to fall behind?

Couldn't you just quickly swipe down from the top of the screen and view your Today screen to see upcoming events in your calendar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. itjw macrumors 65816

That would require too much innovation.

Only Apple can be criticized for lack of innovation. DUH!

14. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Easily answered. At times I have felt this way also and gave gone to Apps as opposed to Apples version. However most of the time I realized that what I want was more 'specialized'
    Apples Calendrrs etc are basic and suited to work in everyday situations. Asking for anything more is what Apps are for.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I am going to say you are growing out of your basic needs hence are now looking beyond Apple's provided.

Is always been that way, except that before you were still a baby with basic needs, now you are discovering fine wine. :D

Pro to use Apple's, you know it's 100% compatible, it will sync across the Cloud etc. Third-party, you gotta try them out to know for sure and may need some tweaking.

16. Indecisi0n thread starter macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Your missing the point.

17. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

I understand you want to see badges on the calendar icon to indicate how many upcoming events you have. What I don't understand is that is one example you used to justify your claim that Apple is falling behind. What other mobile OS in it's stock form use badges on their stock calendar app and correct me if I'm wrong but Windows Mobile don't have badges on the stock calendar app. I have Android devices and I have never seen badges on the stock calendar app. Who is Apple falling behind with that feature you described?

18. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Competing with the entire planet of 3rd party developers isn't exactly easy. And despite the fact that Apple is making the hardware, OS, and a slew of other products, they still have a handful of apps that are the best at what they do, like
    GarageBand, iTunes U, iMovie, Facetime, etc...

19. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Please don't forget that every single smart phone with a touch screen and "apps" as well as tablets with touch screens and apps from every other company are just reiterations of Steve Jobs ideas. None of that existed before Apple. Everyone else just copied those ideas. How soon we forget......

20. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I don't think people will ever be happy. That's just life. We always want something different

21. Indecisi0n thread starter macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

I can understand not pleasing everyone. I guess I have come to get more and more from Apple. As I come to replay on my phone more than before I guess I am just now realizing these things.

22. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Ill stick to Apples apps I prefer intergration to stacks of non used features.

Beaides I really like iOS7 designs.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

the stock apps just aren't for everyone. If EVERYONE had the same workflow and were pleased perfectly by the exact same apps, we wouldn't need more than one mobile OS in the market. But clearly, the market supports several, because different people have different needs.

I for one consider myself an above-average user, as I connect my iDevices and Macs to Zimbra and other Exchange-compliant mail and calendar systems as part of my work. They do the job really well, better than the stock interfaces that the Zimbra/Exchange apps provide, at least for my workflow. But I also realize that isn't the case for everyone.

Fortunately, Apple does realize this too, and so do app developers. That's the whole point of apps.

----------

Then explain the point. The notification screen seems to me to be a good implementation, better than a number badge on the calendar icon.

(By the way, the calendar icon DOES get number badges, but those are for Exchange/iCal meeting invites.)