Apple Startup Sound on youtube/vimeo?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by floh, Feb 1, 2012.

1. floh macrumors 6502

Hey guys!

I am currently editing a short film I shot with friends. In it, I am showing a timelapsed sunrise, and I would like to play the Startup Sound of a Mac Computer to it.
    The problem is: I want to publish this thing on youtube and vimeo, and under a Creative Commons license. This Startup Sound would be the only thing I did not film or record myself, so I might have to get rid of the sound. :-(

My question to you is: Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the use or licensing of Apple's startup chimes? I am pretty sure it is not public domain or royalty free, since they probably had sound designers working on this one for some time, but I can't seem to find any information anywhere...

It would be nice to use the sound as an insider gag, but I don't want to get sued later. Apple seems to like doing that lately... ;-)

Greetings,

Floh

2. Macman45, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have no insider knowledge, but I doubt if Apple actually own the digital rights to the chime....I DO know however, that they are a very, very litigious company.....If you want to ensure you don't get sued, phone their corporate number and ask.

Apple Corporate Office | Headquarters
    1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA 95014
    (408)996-1010

3. floh thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I seriously just call there? Perhaps I'll give that a try...

I also just contacted the MacTracker-guy, since I figured he would be the one person who already researched about if and how he could use all the startup-sounds that are included in his software. :)

4. floh thread starter macrumors 6502

For archiving reasons, if anyone ever stumbles across this thread: I did contact them and was referred to the legal contact page, which is simply online:
    Apple Legal Contact

The team at legal replied personally within a week, wishing me the best of luck for my project, but clearly stating:
    "We only allow our start up sound to be used as normal in conjunction with the start up of a mac computer... we do not allow it to be used for anything else regretfully..."

So I am going for a different, self-made sound. It's a shame, but not the end of the world.

5. musique macrumors regular

musique

It's a chord

I think you could find someone with GarageBand or even a synthesizer and make a similar sound.

I'm not advocating getting involved with Apple's legal department, but it's hard to imagine that a major chord could be "owned" by Apple.

6. floh thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I could probably get pretty close myself, since I'm actually more of a musician than a filmmaker and do not only own Logic Studio, but a huge load of additional sound libraries. I will be composing the rest of the movie's score, too.

Still, getting close is probably not what I want in the end. If I can't use the actual Startup Sound, I would rather go for something original and completely different.

But thanks for the suggestion.