Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Coming away from all the press coverage and the demonstration videos that Apple released for its Vision Pro headset, most people would be forgiven for not realizing that there is an optional additional strap for the device that goes over the head.

vision-pro-over-head-strap.jpeg
Still from Apple's WWDC keynote video showing over-the-head strap in use

The additional strap is presumably used to better disperse weight and/or keep the headset from being easily dislodged when the wearer is moving around. It only appeared once in Apple's WWDC keynote, in a brief scene where a man stands and records a video of children playing with bubbles using the headset's outward facing cameras.

Otherwise, it is conspicuous only by its absence in Apple's marketing materials. Indeed, Apple has not even mentioned the optional head strap, but some of those who got to try the headset in person in Cupertino this week, such as MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera, did get to use it.

"A lot of people probably didn't know this just by looking at some press images, but there is another band that goes over the top of your head," said Dan in his initial impressions video.

In his opinion, with the additional strap attached, the Vision Pro is "not that far off from other headsets in terms of weight," but it does "a really good job of dispersing that weight" and making it not so front-heavy. "I do think most people will want to use it," he added.

Apple has not revealed the weight of the Vision Pro, but Apple's decision to offload the battery to an external pack speaks volumes about the need to keep the headset as light as possible. The braided headband that goes around the back of the head has a fit adjustment dial, but by offering an additional strap, Apple implicitly seems to be acknowledging that the one headband may not be comfortable or secure enough for some users, especially if the device is going to be worn for extended periods of time.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery.jpg

It's worth remembering that members of the press who got to try the headset did so only for around 30 minutes, which is some way off Apple's stated two-hour battery life (Apple even says it is designed for all-day use when plugged in to a power outlet). For example, in his own first impressions write-up, Daring Fireball's John Gruber did not mention any use of the additional over-the-head strap, but he did have this to say about the weight:
The single biggest downside from my demo experience is that Vision Pro feels heavier on your face than I had hoped it would. It's not uncomfortable — at least not for 30 minutes — but I never forgot it was there, and it just makes your head feel a bit front-heavy.
Since Apple hasn't discussed the existence of the additional strap, we don't yet know if it will be included in the box with the headset when it goes on sale next year. But given its relative absence in marketing materials, the likelihood is that it will be offered as a separate paid-for accessory for those who feel they need it.

Whether that will go down well with consumers considering buying a first-generation product with a $3,499 starting price remains to be seen.

Article Link: Apple Still Hasn't Discussed the Vision Pro's Weight and Optional Top Head Strap

Last edited:
Reactions: m4c1n705h

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple should go into straps as a fashionable accessories more generally.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Will it come with a wi-fi snorkel antenna? That scene with the dad taking a video is creepy. Way more creepy than Google Glass ever was. Honestly, imagine that scenario in real life. Super weird. Just use your phone.

TBH this whole thing feels a bit like the Segway. Great, useful, and technologically advanced in theory, but in practice just clumsy, awkward and lame. If it was the size of a pair of glasses, then sure.

But strapping a snorkel mask to your head just to have a gimmicky way to do what you can already do on your phone or your macbook is kind of dorky and weird.

VisionPro accessories.png

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Will it come with a wi-fi snorkel antenna? That scene with the dad taking a video is creepy. Way more creepy than Google Glass ever was. Honestly, imagine that scenario in real life. Super weird. Just use your phone.

TBH this whole thing feels a bit like the Segway. Great, useful, and technologically advanced in theory, but in practice just clumsy, awkward and lame. If it was the size of a pair of glasses, then sure.

But strapping a snorkel mask to your head just to have a gimmicky way to do what you can already do on your phone or your macbook is kind of dorky and weird.

View attachment 2215538
The funny thing is that so many people said no way it was going to look like the look like the mock up shown for months and they were looking forward to the announcement so they wouldn’t have to see the horrible mockup ever again. Guess what, the real thing looks almost the same if not even more hideous 🤣🤣🤣

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I am trying to balance simultaneously being excited for what this device could become, whilst remembering that it isn't going to be for me until 2026/7 at the earliest. From the latter point of view, stuff like the weight and the goofy strap don't really matter.

There are some pretty glaring pain points now, both with software and things like weight and battery life...but that's kind of the point, right? To have a starting point, to explore what is possible. It seems like 2024 will be the year for developers and super-bleeding edge hobbyists with deep pockets (in the US at least), perhaps a 2025 revision will start to have interest niche users for other early adopters. But for something that is light, reasonably affordable (by Apple standards!), and with mature-ish software - even 2026 seems really optimistic.

soupfm

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
May manage to shrink the weight and thus get rid of the top strap when released to the public next year.

• Haha
Reactions: jezbd1997

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
It is 3D video while Glass was only 2D. iPhone doesn’t shoot 3D video.
Imagine being at a birthday party or xmas, or just having a fun time at home and having your dad strap on his stupid looking snorkel mask and start leering at you with his creepy digital eyes peering out. I guess you can re-live that trauma over and over again in 3D video though.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

View attachment 2215538
You realize AR and XR headsets are on the market now, and people buy and wear them. This is one of those comments that will not age well ...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Imagine being at a birthday party or xmas, or just having a fun time at home and having your dad strap on his stupid looking snorkel mask and start leering at you with his creepy digital eyes peering out. I guess you can re-live that trauma over and over again in 3D video though.
I can because I remember, as a kid, my grandfather holding his VHS camcorder at every event.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It will take a few days at most for children to get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.